Boundary Stone of Rockville
Location: Vinson Street at Maryland Avenue
One of the earliest businesses in this crossroads village was Owen's Ordinary, an inn and tavern, established in this area around 1750. The village functioned as the government center of lower Frederick County, and in 1776 became the seat of the newly established Montgomery County. In 1784, William P. Williams subdivided 45 acres of his land into building lots and named it "Williamsburgh." Fifteen years later, structures had been built on 38 lots. The Williamsburgh plat had legal problems and, in November 1801, the Maryland General Assembly directed the lots be resurveyed and a town erected "to be called Rockville." The town plan was recorded in 1803.
This boundary stone, with the letters "B.R." incised, marks the "Beginning of Rockville" shown in the lower right of the plan at the southeast corner of Block I, lot 1. The plan has a grid pattern of six streets, 19 blocks, and a total of 85 lots. The courthouse lot fits into the notch on the right border in Block VIII.
For many years, the boundary stone was neglected, half-buried in the weeds of an undeveloped lot. It resurfaced when the modern Rockville Library was built in 1971,
Erected by City of Rockville, Historic District Commission, Department of Community Planning and Development Services. (Marker Number 3.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Political Subdivisions • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is November 1801.
Location. 39° 4.926′ N, 77° 9.098′ W. Marker is in Rockville, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is on Vinson Street just west of Maryland Avenue, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 111 Maryland Ave, Rockville MD 20850, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Boundary Stone (here, next to this marker); Montgomery County Jail (within shouting distance of this marker); “Out of Robb’s Window, Montgomery County Court House.” (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Richard Montgomery (about 400 feet away); Christ Episcopal Church (about 400 feet away); Memorial to the Events of September 11, 2001 (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Christ Episcopal Church (about 400 feet away); Adam Robb's Tavern (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rockville.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. This marker has replaced the linked marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 4, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 4, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 87 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 4, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.