Montgomery County Jail
Location: Maryland Avenue at Fleet Street
— Explore Early Rockville Walking Tour —
In 1777, seven commissioners were appointed to purchase a plot of land, not exceeding 4 acres, to build a courthouse and jail for Montgomery County. Initially, both court and jail were located in the former Hungerford Tavern on South Washington Street. The jail was in another location after 1779, with Benjamin Ray providing stocks, a whipping post and pillory. Between 1786 and 1789, Sheriff William Robertson used his new house at 101 S. Washington St. (since replaced) for his office and jail.
In 1801, the county received funds to build a jail at the site of the county office building on the east side of Maryland Avenue, then known as Perry Street. In 1807, Joseph Scott described "Montgomery Court House, erected by the General Assembly under the name Rockville," writing," The public buildings are a brick court-house, and jail, without either taste or elegance." This jail burned in 1861 and the two-story stone building pictured was built the following year. The jailer, Mr. Tail, lived there with his family. The jail capacity was 20 inmates. There was a large yard behind the building where the last hanging in the county took place on
Erected by City of Rockville, Historic District Commission, Department of Community Planning and Development Services. (Marker Number 2.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Law Enforcement. A significant historical date for this entry is April 15, 1921.
Location. 39° 4.923′ N, 77° 9.067′ W. Marker is in Rockville, Maryland, in Montgomery County. Marker is at the intersection of Maryland Avenue and Vinson Street, on the right when traveling north on Maryland Avenue. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 Maryland Ave, Rockville MD 20850, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Boundary Stone of Rockville (within shouting distance of this marker); Boundary Stone (within shouting distance of this marker); Richard Montgomery (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Memorial to the Events of September 11, 2001 (about 400 feet away); “Out of Robb’s Window, Montgomery County Court House.” (about 400 feet away); Adam Robb's Tavern (about 500 feet away); Christ Episcopal Church (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Christ Episcopal Church (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Rockville.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. This marker has replaced the linked marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 5, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 5, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 79 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on June 5, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.