Stockton in Hunterdon County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Erected by Hunterdon County Cultural and Heritage Commission.
Marker series. This marker is included in the New Jersey, Hunterdon County Cultural and Heritage Commission marker series.
Location. 40° 24.414′ N, 74° 58.765′ W. Marker is in Stockton, New Jersey, in Hunterdon County. Marker is at the intersection of N. Main Street (New Jersey Route 29) and Stockton - Sergeantsville Road, on the right when traveling south on N. Main Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Stockton NJ 08559, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bridge Street (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Stockton Inn (about 700 feet away); Belvidere Delaware Railroad (about 700 feet away); Stockton Railroad (about 700 feet away); Centre Bridge (approx. 0.2 miles away); Centre Bridge / Delaware and Raritan Canal Feeder Stockton School (approx. ¼ mile away); Stockton Borough School (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stockton.
Also see . . . The Stockton Name. Stockton is located along the Delaware River north of Lambertville. The community was first known as Reading Ferry and later as Howell’s Ferry. The name was changed to Centre Bridge Station to match the name of the post office and hamlet on the Pennsylvania side of the river. The name became Stockton with the creation of a local post office in 1851. The town was named in honor of U.S. Senator Robert Field Stockton, who was instrumental in the creation of the Delaware and Raritan Canal. The Borough was incorporated in 1898, having been separated from Delaware Township. (Submitted on March 10, 2019, by Suzanne Wheeler of Newtown, Pennsylvania.)
Categories. • Colonial Era • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels •
More. Search the internet for Stockton.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 10, 2019. This page originally submitted on April 3, 2009, by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. This page has been viewed 741 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 3, 2009, by Alan Edelson of Union Twsp., New Jersey. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.