Bandera in Bandera County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Great Western Cattle Trail
The first herd blazed the trail in 1874, and the last herd made the trip in 1894. Some historians state otherwise, but most agree that the Great Western Cattle Trail started at Bandera, Texas. It was also known simply as the Western Trail, the Dodge City Trail, and the Old Texas Trail. Though not as well known as the Chisholm Trail, more cattle and horses were driven up the Western Trail, and it was much longer. It was the main cattle trail to Dodge City, Kansas, but eventually went to Ogallala, Nebraska, with branches that went to Canada, and all of the northwestern states. The Western Trail gave birth to the ranching industry in the entire West, as it was seed stock driven up this trail from Texas that was used to start the ranches. It is estimated that approximately 7,000,000 head of longhorn cattle and thousands of horses were driven up The Great Western Cattle Trail,
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Animals. A significant historical year for this entry is 1874.
Location. 29° 43.541′ N, 99° 4.349′ W. Marker is in Bandera, Texas, in Bandera County. Marker is at the intersection Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 413 Main St, Bandera TX 78003, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Bandera, Texas USA (here, next to this marker); Bandera, "Cowboy Capital of the World" (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Great Western Cattle Trail (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Bandera, Texas USA (a few steps from this marker); Recognizing Bandera "Cowboy Capital of the World" (a few steps from this marker); Camp Montel C.S.A. / Texas Civil War Frontier Defense (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bandera County War Memorial (about 300 feet away); Tribute to Valor (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bandera.
Also see . . . Western Trail.
By 1879 the Western Trail was the principal thoroughfare for Texas cattle bound for northern markets. Feeder routes such as the Matamoros Trail from Brownsville, which ran northward through Santa Rosa, George West, Three Rivers, San Antonio, Beckman, Leon Springs, Boerne, and Comfort, and the Old Trail from Castroville, which ran northward through Bandera and Camp Verde, converged in Kerrville to form the Western Trail. Source: The Handbook of Texas(Submitted on June 26, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 26, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 26, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 241 times since then and 160 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on June 26, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.