Midtown in San Antonio in Bexar County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
The Women's Club of San Antonio
Formed in 1898 by philanthropist Eleanor Brackenridge (1837-1924) and journalist Marin B. Fenwick with eighteen charter members. The Woman's Club of San Antonio was the first departmental club in Texas. Miss Brackenridge served for seven years as the group's first president. The activities of this charitable organization have advanced voting and education for women, social reforms, and the arts. The group purchased its first clubhouse in 1908. This structure, built in 1907-08 as the residence of business and civic leader David J. Woodward, was acquired by the Woman's Club in 1926.
Erected 1975 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 5890.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Civil Rights • Fraternal or Sororal Organizations • Women. A significant historical year for this entry is 1898.
Location. 29° 27.027′ N, 98° 29.976′ W. Marker is in San Antonio, Texas, in Bexar County. It is in Midtown. Marker is at the intersection of San Pedro Avenue and West French Place, on the right when traveling south Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1717 San Pedro Avenue, San Antonio TX 78212, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. David J. and May Bock Woodward House (here, next to this marker); Jay Adams House (about 800 feet away, measured in a direct line); Roy and Madge Hearne House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Christ Episcopal Church (approx. 0.2 miles away); Otto Koehler House (approx. 0.2 miles away); Belknap Place (approx. ¼ mile away); Committee on Public Safety (approx. ¼ mile away); Old San Pedro Springs (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Antonio.
Also see . . . Brackenridge, Mary Eleanor (1837–1924).
In San Antonio, Eleanor became a champion of civic and social betterment. She was active in the Texas Federation of Women's Clubs the Daughters of the American Revolution the Texas Mothers' Congress, the Order of the Eastern Star, and the Presbyterian Church. She was a firm believer in prohibition and a strong supporter of the Woman's Christian Temperance Union. She founded the Woman's Club of San Antonio and served as its president for seven years. Under her guidance the club turned its attention from literary subjects to such issues as the need for police matrons, female probation officers, industrial and vocational(Submitted on June 28, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2023. It was originally submitted on June 27, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 200 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on June 27, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.