Fort Pierre in Stanley County, South Dakota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Verendrye Tablet Site
Erected 1933 by the South Dakota State Historical Society and the Fort Pierre Commercial Club. (Marker Number 49.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Exploration • Notable Events. In addition, it is included in the South Dakota State Historical Society Markers series list. A significant historical date for this entry is March 30, 1743.
Location. 44° 21.326′ N, 100° 22.713′ W. Marker is in Fort Pierre, South Dakota, in Stanley County. Marker is on Verendrye Drive (2nd Street), 0.4 miles north of West 2nd Avenue. Located at the Verendrye National Historic Site, on the hilltop overlooking Fort Pierre and the Missouri River. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fort Pierre SD 57532, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Verendrye Site (here, next to this marker); Translation of the Verendrye Plate (a few steps from this marker); Verendrye ExplorersThe Verendrye Site (within shouting distance of this marker); Stockgrowers Bank (approx. 0.4 miles away); The Fort Pierre Plain (approx. half a mile away); The Lewis and Clark Expedition (approx. half a mile away); Lewis and Clark First Sioux Nation Meeting (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fort Pierre.
Regarding Verendrye Tablet Site. National Historic Landmark (1991)
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. The Verendrye National Historic Site
Also see . . . Verendrye Site. The Verendryes reached the area in South Dakota where Pierre and Fort Pierre are now located 61 years before Meriwether Lewis and William Clark first arrived. At the end of March, 1743, they buried a lead plate at the site to lay the basis for French sovereignty on the upper Missouri. A group of school children playing on the hill found the lead plate in 1913. They noticed a small part of the plate protruding from the ground, dug it out, and carried it into town. They were about to sell it to a local print shop, because it was made of lead, (Submitted on October 13, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 16, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 11, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 74 times since then and 19 times this year. Last updated on July 16, 2021. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 13, 2018, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.