Northville in Wayne County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Near this location… The Nurse's Home
Maybury Sanatorium 1921-1969
Located west of the Annex Building, the Nurses' Home was built in 1928. It contained rooms for 70 resident nurses, and a suite of rooms for the superintendent of nurses. Sanatorium care for tuberculosis was unique because the period of convalescence was longer than for most conditions. This provided the opportunity for a more personal association with the patients, which many nurses on staff found to be a rewarding aspect to their careers.
Still today, spring blooms in this field provide reminders of the well-tended rock garden that was located next to this building.
"We are here to make your stay as pleasant and comfortable as possible, and we do our part most cheerfully…Let us work together, patients and staff alike, to win the coveted 'o.k.'"
-Rosa M. Sayles, R.N., Superintendent of Nurses, Maybury Manual, 1941
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Science & Medicine • Women. A significant historical year for this entry is 1921.
Location. 42° 25.759′ N, 83° 31.955′ W. Marker is in Northville, Michigan, in Wayne Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 49601 Eight Mile Road, Northville MI 48167, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Near this location... The Men's Annex (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Near this location… The Inn and Women's Dormitory (about 400 feet away); Near this location… The Powerhouse (about 500 feet away); Near this location… The Administration Building (about 500 feet away); Near this location… The Vaughan Infirmary (about 600 feet away); Near this location… The Doctor's Home (about 700 feet away); Near this location… The Ambulant Building (approx. 0.2 miles away); Near this location...The Water Tower (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Northville.
More about this marker. This marker is one of a series on the Maybury Sanatorium which operated on the site of the state park from 1921-1969.
Also see . . . Maybury Sanitorium. Excerpt:
There isn't much left of it these days, aside from a couple scraps of rubble here and there in the woods. The beautiful wooded hills have been preserved for public recreation however, and it may be fondly remembered by most Metro-Detroiters as the one and only place that they ever rode a horse(Submitted on July 21, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 22, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 21, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. This page has been viewed 58 times since then. Last updated on July 22, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on July 21, 2021, by J.T. Lambrou of New Boston, Michigan. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.