Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Cleburne in Johnson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Pat Cleburne Camp No. 88, U.C.V.

 
 
Pat Cleburne Camp No. 88, U.C.V. Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, July 16, 2021
1. Pat Cleburne Camp No. 88, U.C.V. Marker
Inscription.  

Cleburne Memorial Cemetery serves as the final resting place of many Civil War veterans with more than 400 Confederate soldiers and seven Union soldiers. These men represent the foundation of Cleburne's thriving community and give insight into life in Cleburne after the war wishing to create a tribute in honor of their veterans, the Pat Cleburne Camp Number 88, United Confederate Veterans (U.C.V.), erected a memorial arch in 1922 which leads visitors into Confederate Memorial Park.

The U.C.V. was a national organization that assembled annually in general conventions and reunions. Many Southerners considered the occasions major social events. The last reunion was held in 1950 when only one member, 98 year old Commander-in-Chief James Moore of Selma, Alabama, could attend. The Pat Cleburne Camp Number 88, U.C.V., was formed in January of 1890. Pillars of the Cleburne community were members, including doctors, lawyers, judges, teachers, Texas Rangers, businessmen and farmers.

The successor of this organization, Terry's Texas Rangers Camp No. 1937, Sons of Confederate Veterans, continue to participate in many projects
The Confederate Memorial Arch and the Marker image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, July 16, 2021
2. The Confederate Memorial Arch and the Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
in the community such as taking part in living history events for schoolchildren at area schools, pioneer days at the Chisholm Trail outdoor museum and the annual General Patrick Cleburne birthday celebration. Terry's Texas Rangers Camp No. 1937 proudly maintains the headstones and park, often placing flags by the headstones of both Confederate and Union soldiers.
 
Erected 2015 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 18278.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesWar, US Civil. A significant historical month for this entry is January 1890.
 
Location. 32° 20.759′ N, 97° 22.363′ W. Marker is in Cleburne, Texas, in Johnson County. Marker is at the intersection of Waters Street and South Kouns Street, on the left when traveling east on Waters Street. The marker is located at the west entrance to the Cleburne Memorial Park Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 405 Waters Street, Cleburne TX 76031, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John L. and Annie Upshaw Cleveland House (approx. 0.7 miles away); Pioneer Texas Telephones (approx. 0.7 miles away); Church of the Holy Comforter (approx. ¾ mile away); Cleburne Lodge No. 315, A.F. & A.M. (approx. ¾ mile away); Johnson County Confederate Memorial
The view of the Pat Cleburne Camp No. 88, U.C.V. Marker from the street image. Click for full size.
By James Hulse, July 16, 2021
3. The view of the Pat Cleburne Camp No. 88, U.C.V. Marker from the street
(approx. 0.8 miles away); Johnson County Courthouse Stone (approx. 0.8 miles away); Johnson County Courthouse (approx. 0.8 miles away); General Patrick R. Cleburne (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cleburne.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 23, 2021. It was originally submitted on July 23, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 55 times since then. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on July 23, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=177769

Paid Advertisement
Nov. 29, 2021