Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
McLean in Fairfax County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Benvenue

 
 
Benvenue Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, March 18, 2006
1. Benvenue Marker
Inscription.  “Benvenue” was part of the 3402 acre “Woodberry” estate granted by Lord Fairfax in 1724 to George Turberville. Charles Lee Corbin Turberville was deeded 400 acres in 1796, which included 198 acres that became known as “Benvenue” when acquired by Capt. Thomas ap Catesby Jones, USN, in 1830. The sandstone house reportedly was named after the Louisiana plantation where Jones recovered from wounds received in defending New Orleans on 14 Dec. 1814. During the Civil War the Army of the Potomac's Fourth Corps occupied the surrounding area. “Benvenue” served as a field hospital from Oct. 1861 to Mar. 1862. Later the spelling was changed to “Bienvenue”, French for “welcome”.
 
Erected 2001 by Fairfax County History Commission.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraSettlements & SettlersWar of 1812War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Virginia, Fairfax County History Commission series list. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1862.
 
Location.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
38° 56.474′ N, 77° 10.683′ W. Marker is in McLean, Virginia, in Fairfax County. Marker is on Churchill Road north of Dolley Madison Boulevard (Virginia Route 123). Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6800 Churchill Road, Mc Lean VA 22101, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Salona (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); McLean (approx. half a mile away); The Laughlin Building (approx. half a mile away); McLean Volunteer Firehouse (approx. 0.6 miles away); Langley Fork (approx. 1.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in McLean.
 
More about this marker. The marker is set back from the road beyond the driveway gate and faces the road, so it is virtually invisible by when passing by in an automobile. There is no on-street parking on this side of Dolley Madison Boulevard. Park off Churchill Road on the other side of the Boulevard and walk back.
 
Regarding Benvenue. Bienvenue is a private residence.
 
Bienvenue image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, March 18, 2006
2. Bienvenue
Bienvenue and Benvenue Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, March 18, 2006
3. Bienvenue and Benvenue Marker
Photographed from the sidewalk. Driveway gate is on the left.
Bienvenue Old Belvedere Plaque image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, March 18, 2006
4. Bienvenue Old Belvedere Plaque
This brass plaque is on the side of the house facing the road. It reads Bienvenue. Old Belvedere. Reputedly built 1754 by Col. Williams Adams. Plaque presented by Freedom Hill Society, Children American Revolution, May 21, 1971.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 18, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 4,204 times since then and 216 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 18, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=178

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 17, 2024