Denton in Denton County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
University Gardens Texas Woman's University
The original Rock Garden and native botanical area at this site was established in the 1930s by the Exterior Beautification Committee of Texas State College for Women, now Texas Woman's University. Members of the committee were Willie Isabella Birge, director of the Department of Biology, Fred Westcourt, director of the Department of Rural Arts and Mary Marshall, director of the Department of Art. The gardens were planned and landscaped to display a diverse collection of plants from Texas and other areas. Paths and retaining walls were constructed of native stone. The adjacent chapel in the woods was added in 1938.
A focal point of the campus for many years, the gardens were neglected following World War II and they became overgrown. In the late 1970s, through a cooperative effort of university officials and local residents, the area was restored.
The University Gardens are now a sanctuary for the preservation of native Texas wildflowers. The site serves as an educational laboratory for students, as a trail garden for plants used in campus landscaping and as a place of serenity and relaxation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Parks & Recreational Areas • Women.
Location. 33° 13.75′ N, 97° 7.712′ W. Marker is in Denton, Texas, in Denton County. Marker is on Chapel Drive west of North Bell Avenue, on the right when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 415 Chapel Drive, Denton TX 76201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The First Building of Texas Woman's University (approx. 0.3 miles away); North Texas State Fair and Rodeo (approx. 0.6 miles away); O'Neil Ford (approx. Ύ mile away); Quakertown (approx. 0.8 miles away); Beulah A. Harriss (approx. 0.8 miles away); First Christian Church of Denton (approx. 0.9 miles away); 1927 Denton City Hall (approx. 0.9 miles away); Site of Lacy Hotel (approx. one mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Denton.
More about this marker. This marker is located on the campus of Texas Woman's University. Attention should be given to the day and time when looking for this marker due to the presence of students and limited public parking. However, the campus is beautiful and it is worth the extra effort.
Additional keywords. Botany,
Credits. This page was last revised on August 5, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 5, 2021, by Joe Lotz of Denton, Texas. This page has been viewed 112 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 5, 2021, by Joe Lotz of Denton, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.