Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Arlington in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of Berachah Home and Cemetery

 
 
Site of Berachah Home and Cemetery Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J Frye
1. Site of Berachah Home and Cemetery Marker
Inscription.  

The Berachah Rescue Society was organized at Waco in 1894 by the Rev. J. T. Upchurch (b. 1870) for the protection of homeless girls and unwed mothers. Nine years later he opened the Berachah Industrial Home at this site. Ten buildings were located here, including a print shop for publication of the "Purity Journal". The cemetery, which contains more than eighty graves, was first used in 1904 for the burial of Eunice Williams, one of the residents. The home closed in 1935, but the site was used until 1942 as an orphanage run by Upchurch's daughter Allie Mae and her husband Frank Wiese.
 
Erected 1981 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 4730.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesSettlements & SettlersWomen. A significant historical year for this entry is 1894.
 
Location. 32° 43.717′ N, 97° 7.043′ W. Marker is in Arlington, Texas, in Tarrant County. Marker can be reached from Mitchell Street, 0.2 miles west of South Cooper Street (County Highway 157), on the right when traveling
Site of Berachah Home and Cemetery including Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By QuesterMark, March 26, 2022
2. Site of Berachah Home and Cemetery including Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
west. This marker is in the back corner of Doug Russell park on the campus of the University of Texas at Arlington. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Arlington TX 76013, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Colonel Neel E. Kearby (approx. ¾ mile away); Arlington Post Office (approx. ¾ mile away); The City of Arlington (approx. ¾ mile away); Arlington Cemetery (approx. 0.8 miles away); Booker T. Washington School (approx. 0.9 miles away); Bankhead Highway Through Arlington (approx. 0.9 miles away); Houston Hitching Block (approx. 1.1 miles away); Carver Dixon King (approx. 1.1 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Arlington.
 
Regarding Site of Berachah Home and Cemetery. The Berachah Home was established in Arlington, Texas, on May 14, 1903, by the Rev. J. T. Upchurch and his wife, Maggie Mae, as the Berachah Industrial Home for the Redemption of Erring Girls. It was operated under various names as an establishment for homeless, usually pregnant girls and for the purpose of redeeming and aiding prostitutes and other "fallen" women.
Alternative names:
Berachah Industrial Home for the Redemption of Erring Girls (Arlington, Tex.)
Berachah Industrial Home (Arlington, Tex.)
Berachah Rescue Work

The Berachah Home was originally named the Berachah Industrial Home because of the handkerchief factory operated on the site.
Photo from the Berachah Home image. Click for full size.
Photographed By University of Texas, Arlington
3. Photo from the Berachah Home
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on March 27, 2022. It was originally submitted on April 7, 2021, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 467 times since then and 37 times this year. Last updated on August 14, 2021, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. Photos:   1. submitted on April 7, 2021, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas.   2. submitted on March 27, 2022, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas.   3. submitted on April 7, 2021, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=179427

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Feb. 1, 2023