Cambridge in Middlesex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
Washington’s General Orders
given at Cambridge, July 4, 1775
“The Continental Congress
having taken all the troops
of the several Colonies,
which have been raised,
or which may be hereafter raised
for the support and defence
of the Liberties of America;
into their pay and service.
They are now the Troops of
the United Provinces of North America;
and it is hoped that
all distinctions of Colonies
will be laid aside;
so that one and the same Spirit
may animate the whole
and the only contest be
who shall render
on this great and trying occasion
the most essential service
to the Great and Common Cause
in which we are all engaged.”
Back of Marker:
General George Washington
having taken command of
the Army of the United Colonies
inspects the troops near this spot
on the fourth day of July 1775
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable Events • War, US Revolutionary. A significant historical date for this entry is July 4, 1775.
Location. 42° 22.582′ N, 71° Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Cambridge MA 02138, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. These Cannon Were Abandoned (here, next to this marker); Gen. Casimir Pulaski (a few steps from this marker); Gen. Thaddeus Kosciuszko (a few steps from this marker); Washington Elm (a few steps from this marker); Old Charlestown – Watertown Path (within shouting distance of this marker); Gen. Henry Knox Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); Cambridge Soldiers and Sailors Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); Christ Church (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cambridge.
More about this marker. The back of the marker contains a bas relief plaque of Gen. George Washington on horseback inspecting his troops.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 11, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 16, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,150 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on April 16, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.