Dinwiddie in Dinwiddie County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Early Education in Dinwiddie County
— Dinwiddie County —
Prior to the Civil War, Dinwiddie County was home to several private academies for those who could afford to pay for their education. While it was mostly affluent males who were educated, Pegram's Academy, Female Academy, Girard Heartwell's School for Girls, Oak Forest Female School, and Col. William Davis' Girls School were among those that catered to young women. In these schools, young ladies were prepared socially and culturally to enter the world. Meanwhile, expansion of educational opportunities for African Americans and students from low-income families was delayed until after the Civil War.
It was not until 1870 that public education for Blacks and whites was introduced to Dinwiddie County. By 1833, 25 of the school system's 53 one- and two-room schools were for African Americans. The number of Black elementary schools totaled as many as 40 by the late 1920s. As transportation became more available, the schools began consolidating.
In 1899 the John A. Dix Industrial School was established one mile east of this site as the first and only private school at that time was for African Americans. Several
Photo taken by Jackson Davis, state agent for African American rural schools for the Virginia State Department of Education from 1910 to 1915. He took this photo to show the good road condition through Dinwiddie Court House to Dinwiddie High School. The school can be seen in the background on the right.
Professor W.E. Woodyard was the principal of the Dinwiddie Normal and Industrial School from 1915 to 1949.
This Jackson Davis photo was taken during Patron's Day exercises at a one-room school for African Americans, ca. the 1910s.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Civil Rights • Education • Women. In addition, it is included in the African Methodist Episcopal Zion (AME Zion) Church, and the Civil Rights in Education Heritage Trail series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1870.
Location. 37° 4.652′ N, 77° 35.239′ W. Marker is in Dinwiddie, Virginia, in Dinwiddie County. Marker is at the intersection of Sycamore Drive and Boydton Plank Road (U.S. 1), on the left when traveling south on Sycamore Drive. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 14200 Sycamore Dr, Dinwiddie VA 23841, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dinwiddie Court House (a few steps from this marker); Dinwiddie Confederate Monument (a few steps from this marker); Battle of Dinwiddie Court House (within shouting distance of this marker); The War of 1812 / Winfield Scott (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Scott's Law Office (about 400 feet away); Dinwiddie Courthouse (about 500 feet away); Vaughan Road (approx. 0.4 miles away); Campaign of 1781 (approx. 1.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dinwiddie.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. Old Marker At This Location also titled "Early Education in Dinwiddie County".
Credits. This page was last revised on November 5, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 21, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 187 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 21, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.