Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Dinwiddie in Dinwiddie County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Southside High School

Dinwiddie, Virginia

— Dinwiddie County —

 
 
Southside High School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones (CC0), August 21, 2021
1. Southside High School Marker
Inscription.  
Dinwiddie's Southside High School was started in 1908 as Dinwiddie Normal and Industrial School and was owned by the operated by the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Zion Church. The only school in the area for African Americans for several decades, it served elementary through high school ages.

With the efforts of highly-respected professor W.E. Woodyard, the county eventually began to pay tuition for all African American students and later for the salaries of the teachers as well, while the school was still owned and operated by the AME Zion Church. In 1939 the school was renamed the Dinwiddie Training School but in 1953 it was destroyed by fire. The students graduating celebrated commencement at the Mount Level Baptist Church on Courthouse road.

In September 1953 the school reopened in the renovated "old frame" building. This building would later be used to teach agriculture, industrial arts, and home economics after the new, larger brick building was finished on Dinwiddie's U.S. Route 1 in the spring of 1954. This became the high school for African American students from all over Dinwiddie County. By
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
1956 the school was renamed Southside High School in a dedication with Dr. Roy W. Watson, principal. By the fall of 1965 an addition that included four science classrooms was completed. Following the county's school integration in 1969, Southside High School became Dinwiddie County Junior High School, which served grades 8-9.

With continued county growth, the Dinwiddie County Public Schools would undergo additional changes in 1988, and the brick school building would again be renamed, this time as Dinwiddie Middle School, serving grades 6-8. In 1997 the building was completely renovated. However, in June 2012 it finally closed and two years later became the Historic Southside High School Education Center.
 
Erected by Civil Rights in Education Heritage Trail. (Marker Number DN4.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansCivil RightsEducationScience & Medicine. In addition, it is included in the African Methodist Episcopal Zion (AME Zion) Church, and the Civil Rights in Education Heritage Trail series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is June 2012.
 
Location. 37° 6.159′ N, 77° 33.838′ W. Marker is in Dinwiddie, Virginia, in Dinwiddie County. Marker is at the intersection of Eastview
Southside High School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones (CC0), August 21, 2021
2. Southside High School Marker
Drive and Boydton Plank Road (U.S. 1), on the right when traveling west on Eastview Drive. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 12318 Boydton Plank Rd, Dinwiddie VA 23841, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Dinwiddie Normal Industrial School (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Vaughan Road (approx. 1.8 miles away); The War of 1812 / Winfield Scott (approx. 2.1 miles away); Dinwiddie Confederate Monument (approx. 2.2 miles away); Early Education in Dinwiddie County (approx. 2.2 miles away); Dinwiddie Court House (approx. 2.2 miles away); Battle of Dinwiddie Court House (approx. 2.2 miles away); Scott's Law Office (approx. 2.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dinwiddie.
 
Historic Southside High School Education Center image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bradley Owen, October 22, 2021
3. Historic Southside High School Education Center
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on August 21, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 386 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on August 21, 2021, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.   3. submitted on October 22, 2021, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=180012

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 27, 2024