Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Tilden in McMullen County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Franklin Ranch

 
 
Franklin Ranch Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 29, 2021
1. Franklin Ranch Marker
Inscription.  Ranch founder Ralph S. "Rafe" Franklin, was born in Louisiana, April 4,1848. He came to McMullen County in the early 1860's with his family.

He started this ranch about 1870, building it up until he owned 40,000 acres one of the largest holdings in this area. On Nov 4, 1870, he married Minerva Holland; their children were: Murray; Buddy; R.S. Jr.; Green; Felix; Chapman; Amy; Claude; Tom; John; Margaret; Sam; Julius.

The ranch headquartered on San Miguel Creek. In 1913, the present ranch home was built at the same location. It was a travelers refuge; relatives and friends from near and far visited often to attend parties, dances picnics and other social gatherings.

For a short time Franklin ran sheep and goats but changed to cattle in 1902. He purchased a herd of black angus, the first in this part of the country.

The old "San Antonio-Laredo Stage Road" traverses ranch, crossing San Miguel Creek below ranch home. During the Civil War much cotton passed over this road headed for the Mexican border.

The Franklins were pioneers in truest sense-few were more dynamic than they in early McMullen
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
County development. "Rafe" Franklin died March 14,1913.
 
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 2054.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AnimalsIndustry & CommerceRoads & VehiclesWar, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is March 14, 1913.
 
Location. 28° 34.934′ N, 98° 32.803′ W. Marker is in Tilden, Texas, in McMullen County. Marker is on Franklin Ranch Road near State Highway 16, on the right when traveling west. The marker is located near the intersection. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tilden TX 78072, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Cross (approx. 1.4 miles away); Camp Rio Frio, C.S.A. (approx. 8.2 miles away); San Caja Hill (approx. 8.2 miles away); Original Burial Site of Moses William Hindes (approx. 8.3 miles away); Boot Hill Cemetery, 1858-77 (approx. 8.3 miles away); Old Rock Store (approx. 8.4 miles away); McMullen County (approx. 8.4 miles away); Tilden (approx. 8.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tilden.
 
The Franklin Ranch Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 29, 2021
2. The Franklin Ranch Marker
The view of the Franklin Ranch Marker from the road image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 29, 2021
3. The view of the Franklin Ranch Marker from the road
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 1, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 1, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 636 times since then and 151 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on September 1, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=180823

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 24, 2024