Newark in Licking County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Observatory Mound
On July 4, 1836, members of the Calliopean Society of the Granville Literary and Theological Institution (now Denison University) investigated the observatory. In excavations on the soutwest and northeast portions of the mound, they found a layer of stone underlying the mound and a stone wall between the observatory and the wall of the circle. Although the records of this investigation are sketchy, they do suggest that the Hopewell people many have used stones either to mark the outline of their earthworks prior to building them or to form the core of the walls.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Air & Space • Anthropology & Archaeology • Man-Made Features • Native Americans. A significant historical month for this entry is July 1842.
Location. This marker has been replaced by another marker nearby. 40° 3.038′ N, 82° 26.95′ W. Marker is in Newark, Ohio, in Licking County. Marker can be reached from N 33rd Street near Parkview Road. Marker is on the grounds of the Moundbuilders Country Club. It can be reached on a trail from the Moundbuilders Country Club parking lot. The trail is open to the public, though much of the rest of the grounds of the club are not. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 125 N 33rd Street,, Newark OH 43055, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Octagon Earthworks (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Builders (approx. ¼ mile away); History of the Site (approx. ¼ mile away); The Circle (approx. ¼ mile away); The Newark Earthworks (approx. ¼ mile away); The Octagon (approx. ¼ mile away); Earthen Architecture (approx. 1.2 miles away); Great Circle Earthworks (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Newark.
More about this marker. The original marker, which was photographed in this post in March of 2009, seems to have been replaced with the one photographed in June of 2022. The text is identical, but the marker background and the marker's illustration have been changed.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 15, 2022. It was originally submitted on April 20, 2009, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 879 times since then and 23 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 20, 2009, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.