Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ravenna in Buffalo County, Nebraska — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
 

Civilian Conservation Corps

Ravenna, Nebraska

 
 
Civilian Conservation Corps Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, August 11, 2021
1. Civilian Conservation Corps Marker
Inscription.  From 1934 to 1939, Companies 2741 and 2732 of the Civilian Conservation Corps occupied a camp near this site. Barracks housed about 200 men, ages 18 to 25, who built soil conservation dams and planted shelterbelts on nearby farms. The camp moved to Broken Bow in 1939 and the buildings were dismantled. CCC camps across Nebraska and the nation provided employment and training for thousands of young men during the Depression.
 
Erected by Ravenna Genealogical and Historical Society; and Nebraska State Historical Society. (Marker Number 370.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureCharity & Public WorkEnvironmentHorticulture & Forestry. In addition, it is included in the Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC), and the Nebraska State Historical Society series lists. A significant historical year for this entry is 1934.
 
Location. 41° 0.641′ N, 98° 53.736′ W. Marker is in Ravenna, Nebraska, in Buffalo County. Marker is on State Highway 2, one mile east of Ravenna Road (State Highway
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
68), on the right when traveling east. Marker is located in a pull-out on the south side of the highway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ravenna NE 68869, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Pleasanton Branch Union Pacific Railroad (here, next to this marker); Post South Loup Fork (here, next to this marker); John Pesek (approx. 1.4 miles away); Solon H. Borglum (approx. 9.4 miles away); Austin (approx. 13.3 miles away).
 
Also see . . .  CCC Camp - Ravenna NE - Living New Deal. In July 1934, the Kearney Daily Hub announced that a Civilian Conservation Corps (CCC) Camp would be developed at Ravenna. By August, a number of young men were on the site, and had begun their conservation work. They hiked to an area south of town to the Chick Kriha farm where they built a brush and earth dam for retaining water. They had requests from twenty-five other farms in the township to build similar dams. (Submitted on September 13, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.) 
 
Civilian Conservation Corps Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Cosmos Mariner, August 11, 2021
2. Civilian Conservation Corps Marker
(leftmost of three historical markers at this location)
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on September 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on September 13, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 151 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on September 13, 2021, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=181771

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 2, 2024