Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Fayetteville in Fayette County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Fayette County Precinct No. 2 Courthouse

 
 
Fayette County Precinct No. 2 Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, October 6, 2021
1. Fayette County Precinct No. 2 Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  Fayetteville citizens raised $600.00 in private funds, received $200.00 in tax money from the County Commissioners' Court, and built this Victorian precinct Courthouse in 1880. A ball held in the new building netted funds for painting. The 2-cell calaboose upstairs was completed in 1887. A ladies' club donated the clock in 1934. In early Texas, precinct Courthouses were very rare.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark - 1977
 
Erected 1977 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 1580.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Law EnforcementWomen. A significant historical year for this entry is 1880.
 
Location. 29° 54.255′ N, 96° 40.554′ W. Marker is in Fayetteville, Texas, in Fayette County. Marker is at the intersection of North Washington Street and West Main Street (State Highway 159), on the right when traveling north on North Washington Street. The marker is located on the right side of the front door of the Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Fayetteville TX 78940, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
this marker. Fayetteville (a few steps from this marker); Phillip James Shaver (a few steps from this marker); Sewer Project (a few steps from this marker); Fayetteville SPJST (within shouting distance of this marker); Sarrazin Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Svrcek Garage (within shouting distance of this marker); The Baca Saloon & Confectionary (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Svrcek Building (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Fayetteville.
 
Regarding Fayette County Precinct No. 2 Courthouse. The Fayetteville County Precinct Courthouse is located on the town square with gazebo surrounded by lawn, shrubs, trees and benches. It was erected in late 1880 by monies in the sum of $600 raised by citizens of fayetteville with $200 appropriated by the former commissioners court. The structure is mostly mortised with very few nails used. It is a 30' x 30' two story building with a court room on the first floor. And a jury room and calaboose added to the second floor some six years later at a cost of $11.


On February 17, 1881, the first court was held of the last regular term of Justices Court Beat No. 2. The ladies of the "Do-your-duty club" donated a beautiful four-faced Seth Thomas
The Fayette County Precinct No. 2 Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, October 6, 2021
2. The Fayette County Precinct No. 2 Courthouse
clock with a bell on July 3, 1934 which was installed on the courthouse for ten long years. This group of ladies worked very hard to raise monies for the cost of the clock. Fayetteville is said to be the smallest town in the country with a town clock. The courthouse with its clock on top still remains a popular tourist attraction as the clock still strikes on the hour. Source: Inside plaque from Fayetteville Area Heritage Museum
 
Also see . . .  Fayetteville, TX (Fayette County).
Fayetteville is on State Highway 159 and Farm roads 955 and 1291, twelve miles east of La Grange in eastern Fayette County. It developed from a settlement formed by three families of Stephen F. Austin's Old Three Hundred—those of John Crier, James Cummins, and James J. Ross. The surrounding area was known as Ross Prairie, after Ross. The developing settlement was on the Old San Felipe to Bastrop road and was a stagecoach stop. In 1834 the Breeding family established nearby the first school in what would become Fayette County; some of James J. Ross's children attended classes there. The settlement was called Wadis Post Office in 1835. Jesse Burnam's ferry across the Colorado River was nearby, and during the Texas Revolution Sam Houston and his army used this ferry and then burned it on their march to San Jacinto.  Source: The
The Fayette County Precinct No. 2 Courthouse and Marker from the street image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, October 6, 2021
3. The Fayette County Precinct No. 2 Courthouse and Marker from the street
Handbook of Texas
(Submitted on October 9, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
The inside view of the Fayette County Courtroom image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, October 6, 2021
4. The inside view of the Fayette County Courtroom
Calaboose (Jail) on the 2nd floor image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, October 6, 2021
5. Calaboose (Jail) on the 2nd floor
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 9, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 9, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 137 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 9, 2021, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=183382

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 19, 2024