Near Aldie in Loudoun County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
America's Oldest Agriculture College
On June 17, 1863, John Singleton Mosby and his Rangers were resting at the school's site and observed the dust clouds from the ferocious Battle of Aldie taking place here.
In 1916, the school building and property became the headquarters of the National Beagle Club, where today are held the annual beagle trials. In 1982, it was listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
Erected by Snickersville Turnpike Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is June 17, 1863.
Location. 38° 59.521′ N, 77° 39.824′ W. Marker is near Aldie, Virginia, in Loudoun County. Marker is on Snickersville Turnpike (Virginia Route 734), on the right when traveling north. Touch for mapTouch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Battle of Aldie (a few steps from this marker); First Mass. Cavalry (a few steps from this marker); Snickersville Turnpike (approx. one mile away); a different marker also named Battle of Aldie (approx. 1.1 miles away); Institute Farm (approx. 1.1 miles away); To The Memory of C. Oliver Iselin, Jr., M.B. (approx. 1.1 miles away); A Revolutionary War Hero (approx. 1.2 miles away); Gettysburg Campaign (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Aldie.
Also see . . .
1. Loudoun Agricultural and Mechanical Institute. National Register of Historic Places Nomination Form (.pdf) (Submitted on April 27, 2009.)
2. Snickersville Turnpike Association, The Pike Packet. On page 3 of the the March, 2008 newsletter is an article entitled, Virginia's Oldest Agriculture Institute. (Submitted on April 27, 2009.)
3. Battle of Aldie. National Park Service Summary (Submitted on April 27, 2009.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 27, 2009. This page has been viewed 1,210 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 27, 2009. 3. submitted on June 8, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 4, 5. submitted on April 27, 2009. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.