Mansfield in Tarrant County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Julian Feild (1825-1897) and Ralph Mann (1825-1906) became acquainted in Harrison County, Texas, about 1850. About 1854 they built a mill near the Clear and West Forks of the Trinity River. The two business partners came south of Fort Worth in 1856 and at this site found the ruins of a mill that had been constructed by Charles Turner. With the help of local settlers and brickmaker S.W.A. Hook (1836-1917), Mann and Feild built a three-story steam-powered wheat and corn mill during the winter of 1859-60.
The mill attracted business from San Antonio to the Oklahoma Territory. The community that developed around the mill was given the name "Mansfeild" (now Mansfield). During the Civil War, The Confederate government collected for its use a certain proportion of the mill's output. After the war, government contracts were secured to supply flour for federal forts.
Julian Feild sold his interest in the mill in 1874. The mill continued in operation until the early part of the 20th century. The site has been used since that time as a memorial to World War I veterans and for municipal offices. It is a historic site as the beginning
Erected 1985 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 3198.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Settlements & Settlers • War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1854.
Location. 32° 33.799′ N, 97° 8.509′ W. Marker is in Mansfield, Texas, in Tarrant County. Marker is at the intersection of East Broad Street and South Main Street (Business Highway 287), on the right when traveling east on East Broad Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 100 East Broad Street, Mansfield TX 76063, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. John C. Collier Home (approx. Ό mile away); Nugent-Hart House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Ralph Man Homestead (approx. 0.4 miles away); Man's Barn and Land (approx. 0.4 miles away); History of the Man House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Ralph Sandiford Man (approx. 0.4 miles away); St. Jude Catholic Church (approx. 0.4 miles away); Cumberland Presbyterian Cemetery (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mansfield.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 14, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 14, 2021, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 103 times since then and 54 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on October 14, 2021, by J Frye of Fort Worth, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.