Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Downtown in Tucson in Pima County, Arizona — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Convent Street

 
 
Convent Street Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, October 27, 2013
1. Convent Street Marker
Inscription.  Named in 1869 for the convent located adjacent to San Augustín Cathedral. When the seven Sisters of St. Joseph of Carondelet finally arrived in 1870, they opened the city’s first parochial school for girls next to San Augustín. Three years later they opened a school at San Xavier Mission, followed a year later by the establishment of the St. Augustine’s Parochial School for Boys.
 
Erected 2013 by City of Tucson Historic Preservation Office.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionRoads & VehiclesWomen. A significant historical year for this entry is 1869.
 
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 32° 13.395′ N, 110° 58.356′ W. Marker was in Tucson, Arizona, in Pima County. It was in Downtown. Marker was on North Church Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Marker is mounted horizontally in the sidewalk, at the crosswalk between the main library and the old Pima County Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 118 N Church Ave, Tucson AZ 85701, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. S. E. Corner Adobe Wall of Spanish Presidio of Tucson (within shouting distance of this marker); Pima County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Stone Avenue (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Pennington Footbridge (about 400 feet away); Jácome’s (about 400 feet away); Vietnam War Memorial (about 400 feet away); Veterans of the Battle of the Bulge (about 400 feet away); Commemorating the Raising of the First American Flag within the Walled City of Tucson (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tucson.
 
Pima County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, October 27, 2013
2. Pima County Courthouse
Convent Street Marker is in sidewalk.
Convent Street Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, October 27, 2013
3. Convent Street Marker
View south on North Church Avenue image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, October 27, 2013
4. View south on North Church Avenue
View north on North Church Avenue image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Kirchner, October 27, 2013
5. View north on North Church Avenue
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 19, 2021. It was originally submitted on October 29, 2013, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 655 times since then and 31 times this year. Last updated on November 18, 2021, by Robert Holmstrom of Rocklin, California. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on October 29, 2013, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=186122

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 12, 2024