Lexington in Middlesex County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
Lexington Ship Memorial
the memory of
those who served
aboard a ship
April 18, 1988
The Lexington Lions Club
U.S.S. Lexington CV-16 Association
16 Gun Brigantine
Originally the merchantman “Wild Duck”. Purchased by Continental Congress in March, 1776 and renamed in honor of the courageous Lexington Minutemen, she captured three British ships while patrolling Virginia Capes. Seized by a British frigate when returning from the West Indies, Lexington’s company overpowered their captors and brought the British as prisoners to Baltimore. In 1777, deployed to European waters with Continental brigs “Reprisal” and “Dolphin”, took 18 British ships as prizes. The Lexington was captured by the British off the coast of France on 29 September 1777 when she ran out of ammunition on a calm sea.
18 Gun Sloop-of-War
Commissioned June 11, 1826. Served two tours in Mediterranean and in South American waters. Landed a raiding party in Falklands
Sidewheel steamer purchased by War Department in 1861 and converted into a gunboat with four 8-inch guns and two 32-pounders. In the Civil War the Lexington swept Mississippi River system and spearheaded drives on Cumberland and Tennessee Rivers. She played a vital role in the capture of Fort Henry and Fort Donelson, helped to save General Grant’s troops from disaster at Shiloh, provided cover for General Sherman at Chickasaw Bluffs, and attacked Vicksburg. Led flotilla in successful expedition up the Red River in 1864. Later captured three Confederate steamers at Beulah Landing, Mississippi. Decommissioned 2 July, 1865.
Built in Quincy, Mass. on the hull of a battlecruiser, the 36,000 ton carrier was commissioned 14 Dec. 1927. First ship to average more
Built in Quincy Mass. and commissioned in Boston 17 Feb. 1943. Participated in 35 engagements in forward Pacific during WW II. Pilots from Air Groups 16, 19, 20, 9, and 94 downed 387 planes, destroyed 645 planes on the ground, dropped 2,735 bombs on Japanese bases, sank or damaged 588,000 tons of warships and 497,000 tons of merchant shipping, ship’s gunners shot down 15 attacking planes. Lexington was torpedoed off Marshalls 4 Dec. 1943, and later hit by kamikaze off Luzon 5 Nov. 1944. Awarded 11 Battle Stars and the Presidential Unit Citation. In 1955, she was remodeled with an angular flight deck. Since 1963 she has served as the Navy’s training carrier. More planes have landed on U.S.S. Lexington (CV-16) than on any ship in history.
citizens of Lexington
who served their country
during World War II
1941 – 1945
Erected by Lions Club and U.S.S.Lexington Blue Ghost.
Topics and series. This historical marker and memorial is listed in these topic lists: War, US Civil • War, US Revolutionary • War, World II • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #18 Ulysses S. Grant series list. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1776.
Location. 42° 26.959′ N, 71° 13.753′ W. Marker is in Lexington, Massachusetts, in Middlesex County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Bedford Street (Massachusetts Route 225) and Massachusetts Ave (Massachusetts Route 4), on the right when traveling north. Marker is located across the street from the Lexington Battle Green, near the Lexington Visitor Center and behind the Buckman Tavern. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lexington MA 02420, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Buckman Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker); Rendezvous of the Minute Men (within shouting distance of this marker); Prince Estabrook (within shouting distance of this marker); Memorial to the Lexington Minute Men (within shouting distance of this marker); a different marker Buckman Tavern (within shouting distance of this marker); Lexington Minuteman (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Line of the Minutemen (about 300 feet away); Lexington Green (about 400 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lexington.
More about this memorial. The logo for the Lions Club and U.S.S.Lexington Blue Ghost appear at the bottom of the marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 4, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,883 times since then and 76 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on May 4, 2009, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.