Defiance in Defiance County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Anthony Wayne Parkway
From here Wayne marched against the Indian forces gathered at the foot of the Maumee Rapids and defeated them in the Battle of Fallen Timbers. Fort Defiance then became an important link in a chain of military outposts in the Indian lands. At the time of the War of 1812, Fort Defiance was repaired and garrisoned, together with the newly-built Fort Winchester nearby, as an American base of operations against the British and the Indians. When peace came to the Maumee Valley the fort was abandoned.
Erected 1958 by Fort Defiance Chapter, D.A.R. in the Sesquicentennial Year of Ohio Statehood.
Topics and series. This historical marker Forts and Castles • Military • Native Americans • War of 1812 • Wars, US Indian. In addition, it is included in the Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1794.
Location. 41° 17.245′ N, 84° 21.458′ W. Marker is in Defiance, Ohio, in Defiance County. Marker is at the intersection of Fort St. and Washington Ave., on the right when traveling west on Fort St.. This historical marker is situated on the southwest point of land, at the juncture of the Auglaize River with the Maumee River. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Defiance OH 43512, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Indian Wars (here, next to this marker); a different marker also named Fort Defiance (a few steps from this marker); Service Star Legion Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Defiance Public Library (within shouting distance of this marker); West Blockhouse (within shouting distance Legion of Anthony Wayne (within shouting distance of this marker); Construction Of Fort Defiance (within shouting distance of this marker); Fort Defiance Flagstaff (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Defiance.
More about this marker. The marker is one of several markers located at the actual site of Fort Defiance. The marker can be found on the edge of the actual fortification, just outside the low lying earthworks that mark the outline of the fort.
Regarding Fort Defiance. From the time of the French and Indian War until the end of the War of 1812, as white-Europeans struggled with one another and with the Native American population for control of the Great Lakes basin, the area around the juncture of the Auglaize River with the Maumee River was of extreme strategic importance.
Throughout the time of Indian Wars of 1790-1795, the Indians had made this area an important cultural center and it was the scene of several of the largest council gatherings ever held by Native Americans. From here the Native Americans plotted their strategy against American encroachments into their territory. From here they had planned their victorious campaigns against the American armies led by General Josiah Harmar (1790) and then again against General Arthur St. Clair (1791), but it was General Anthony Wayne's campaign in 1794 that proved to be their undoing.
After the Indian Wars of 1790-1795 the Fort Defiance area again became an area of strategic military importance during the War of 1812. The area became heavily militarized by the Americans with both forts and fortified encampments and served an important role in the American military campaigns of both General Winchester and General
Credits. This page was last revised on February 2, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 5, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,660 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 21, 2020, by TeamOHE of Napoleon, Ohio. 3. submitted on May 5, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. 4. submitted on January 29, 2021, by TeamOHE of Napoleon, Ohio. 5, 6, 7. submitted on May 5, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.