Near Sharpsburg in Washington County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Ferry Hill Place
(Built in 1812)
The boyhood home of Colonel Henry Kyd Douglas, a member of Stonewall Jackson’s staff. Sept. 18, 1862, Federal troops occupied these premises and confined the Douglas family. June 18, 1863, Headquarters of Confederate Maj. Gen. Edward Johnson, en route to Pennsylvania.
Erected by Maryland Civil War Centennial Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is September 18, 1862.
Location. 39° 26.3′ N, 77° 47.7′ W. Marker is near Sharpsburg, Maryland, in Washington County. Marker is on Shepherdstown Pike (State Highway 34) east of Canal Road, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Sharpsburg MD 21782, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The James Rumsey Bridge / The Battle of Antietam or Sharpsburg (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Blackford’s Ford (about 500 feet away); Swearingen’s Ferry and Pack Horse Ford (about 500 feet away); a different marker also named Ferry Hill Place (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ferry Hill A View into the Past (approx. ¼ mile away); a different marker also named Blackford's Ford (approx. 0.3 miles away); Shepherdstown (approx. 0.3 miles away); In Honor of James Rumsey (approx. 0.4 miles away in West Virginia); Waterfront Commerce and the Mecklenburg Warehouse (approx. half a mile away in West Virginia). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sharpsburg.
Also see . . .
1. Henry Kyd Douglas Collection. NPS Antietam National battlefield website entry:
Henry Kyd Douglas was on Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson's staff in the Maryland Campaign. He was a great asset to the Confederate leadership at Antietam because he grew up about four miles from the battlefield. (Submitted on October 27, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
2. C&O Canal Ferry Hill. National Park Service website entry:
Ferry Hill sitting above the crossroads of the Potomac River, Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, and the "great road" has been and continues to be a place of change and adaptation. In 1775 Van Swearingen had constructed a "Ferry Inn" at the ferry landing on the Maryland side of the river. The community that grew as a result of the ferry became known as Bridgeport. (Submitted on October 27, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 24, 2022. It was originally submitted on July 27, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 2,042 times since then and 70 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on July 27, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 2. submitted on October 27, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 3. submitted on July 27, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. 4, 5. submitted on October 27, 2015, by Brian Scott of Anderson, South Carolina. 6. submitted on July 28, 2007, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. • J. J. Prats was the editor who published this page.