Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ciudad Colonial in Santo Domingo, Distrito Nacional, Dominican Republic — Caribbean Region of the Americas (Hispaniola, Greater Antilles, West Indies)
 

Pantheon of the Nation

(Old Church of the Company of Jesus)

 
 
Pantheon of the Nation Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, October 30, 2021
1. Pantheon of the Nation Marker
Inscription.  

Panteón de la Patria
(Antigua Iglesia de la Compañía de Jesús)

Este templo fue construido a principios del siglo XVIII cuando los jesuitas se hicieron cargo de la segunda universidad de la isla, llamada Santiago de la Paz, institución que se extinguió en 1767 a raíz de la expulsión de esta orden religiosa. La iglesia tiene tres naves y bóveda de medio cañón. El frontón del campanario fue incorporado durante los trabajos de restauración realizados en 1955. Tras la expulsión de esta orden religiosa, el edificio recibió diversos usos, entre ellos almacen de tabaco, teatro y sede de un ministerio. En su interior descansan los próceres, intelectuales, políticos y otras grandes figuras de la historia dominicana. La Plazoleta María de Toledo fue construida a finales de la década de 1960 y conecta las calles Isabel la Catolica y Las Damas.

English:
Pantheon of the Nation
(Old Church of the Company of Jesus)

This sanctuary was constructed in the early 18th century, when the Jesuits took charge of Santiago de la Paz, the second university to be established on the island. The institution
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
of learning closed in 1767 when the mentioned religious order was deported. The church has three naves and a barrel vault. The frontal bell tower was added during the restoration work of 1955. After the Jesuits were expelled, the building was used for various purposes. Among these were a tobacco warehouse, theater and government ministry offices. It is the final resting place of national heroes, intellectuals, politicians and other important figures of Dominican history. The Maria de Toledo square, next to the building, was constructed at the end of the 1960s and connects the Isabel la Catolica Street to Las Damas Street.
 
Erected by Ministerio del Turismo.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesChurches & ReligionColonial Era. A significant historical year for this entry is 1767.
 
Location. 18° 28.493′ N, 69° 52.979′ W. Marker is in Ciudad Colonial, Distrito Nacional, in Santo Domingo. Marker is on Calle Las Damas just north of Calle del Conde, on the left when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Ciudad Colonial, Distrito Nacional 10210, Dominican Republic. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. María Toledo Square (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named The Pantheon of the Nation (a few steps from this marker); The Dávila House
Pantheon of the Nation Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. Makali Bruton, October 30, 2021
2. Pantheon of the Nation Marker
The marker is in this patio south of the Pantheon of the Nation.
(within shouting distance of this marker); Christopher Columbus' Last Residence (within shouting distance of this marker); The French Embassy (within shouting distance of this marker); House of the Jesuits (within shouting distance of this marker); Chapel of Our Lady of the Remedies (within shouting distance of this marker); Las Damas Street (about 90 meters away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ciudad Colonial.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 25, 2021. It was originally submitted on December 23, 2021, by J. Makali Bruton of Accra, Ghana. This page has been viewed 76 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on December 23, 2021, by J. Makali Bruton of Accra, Ghana.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=188761

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 3, 2024