Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Blackstone in Nottoway County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Blackstone

 
 
Blackstone Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, May 10, 2009
1. Blackstone Marker
Inscription.  Blackstone was first known as Blacks and Whites, after two rival late 18th-century taverns. One of these taverns, Schwartz (Blacks) Tavern, listed on the National Register of Historic Places, still stands. The town was renamed for the English jurist Sir William Blackstone and incorporated in 1888. The Battle of the Grove, a Civil War cavalry action, was fought just west of here on 23 June 1864. The United Methodist Assembly Center, formerly the Blackstone College for Girls, is located here. At the turn of the 20th century, the town was a prosperous manufacturing, tobacco, and educational center in Southside Virginia. Nearby Fort Pickett was built in 1942.
 
Erected 2000 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number K-172.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraMilitaryWar, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series list. A significant historical date for this entry is June 23, 1864.
 
Location. 37° 4.654′ N, 77° 59.949′ W. Marker is in
South Main Street (facing south) image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, May 10, 2009
2. South Main Street (facing south)
Click or scan to see
this page online
Blackstone, Virginia, in Nottoway County. Marker is on South Main Street (Business U.S. 460) 0.1 miles south of West Irvin Street, on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Blackstone VA 23824, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. War Memorial (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); First National Bank of Blackstone, VA. (approx. 0.2 miles away); The L.C. Tucker Building, 101 S. Main Street (approx. 0.2 miles away); L.B. Spencer Drug Company (approx. ¼ mile away); 108 North Main Street (approx. ¼ mile away); Dodge Brothers Dealership (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Blackstone Hotel (approx. 0.3 miles away); Black’s and White’s Station (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Blackstone.
 
Also see . . .  Blackstone Historic District. National Register of Historic Places (Submitted on November 10, 2021.) 
 
Schwartz (Blacks) Tavern image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, May 10, 2009
3. Schwartz (Blacks) Tavern
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 10, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 12, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,001 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 12, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=18879

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 26, 2022