Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Rio Frio in Real County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Lombardy Irrigation Ditch

 
 
Lombardy Irrigation Ditch Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, December 21, 2021
1. Lombardy Irrigation Ditch Marker
Inscription.  Dug in 1868, in pick-and-shovel operation, by Lombardy Irrigation Company, whose officers were N.M.C. Patterson, W.F. Smith and T. Watkins.

Besides channeling water to irrigate over 800 acres, the 2-mile ditch furnished power for a cotton gin and shingle, grist, and flour mills.

The settlement which grew up in the area was known as "The Ditch" until a post office was established in 1875. It was then named "Rio Frio" ("Cold River").

For a century the Ditch has irrigated lands of families of two original company officers.
 
Erected 1968 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 3112.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureSettlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1868.
 
Location. 29° 38.051′ N, 99° 44.258′ W. Marker is in Rio Frio, Texas, in Real County. Marker is at the intersection of Ranch to Market Road 1120 and Ranch to Market Road 2748, on the right when traveling east on Highway 1120. The marker is located
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
along the highway at the intersection. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6191 Ranch Road 1120, Rio Frio TX 78879, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Civilian Conservation Corps at Garner State Park (approx. 3.4 miles away); Catherine R. McLauren (approx. 6.4 miles away); Leakey Cemetery (approx. 6.4 miles away); Real County (approx. 6˝ miles away); Real County Courthouse (approx. 6˝ miles away); a different marker also named Real County (approx. 6˝ miles away); John Leakey (approx. 6˝ miles away); Leakey Church of Christ (approx. 6.6 miles away).
 
Lombardy Irrigation Ditch Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, December 21, 2021
2. Lombardy Irrigation Ditch Marker
The view of the Lombardy Irrigation Ditch Marker from the highway image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, December 21, 2021
3. The view of the Lombardy Irrigation Ditch Marker from the highway
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 1, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 1, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 226 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on January 1, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=189338

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 24, 2024