Marblehead in Ottawa County, Ohio — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
In Memory of Mason, Simonds & Mingus
Mason, Simonds, & Mingus.
Who fell near this place
in battle with the Indians.
Sept. 29, 1812.
This Monument was erected in 1857 by Joshua R. Giddings
Erected 1858 by Hon. J.R. Giddings.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Military • Native Americans • War of 1812. In addition, it is included in the United States Daughters of 1812, National Society series list.
Location. 41° 30.838′ N, 82° 44.636′ W. Marker is in Marblehead, Ohio, in Ottawa County. Marker is on East Bay Shore Road just from Seneca Trail, on the right when traveling east. This historical marker is Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lakeside Marblehead OH 43440, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Battle Site (within shouting distance of this marker); The Keeper's House (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Home of Benajah Walcott (about 600 feet away); a different marker also named The Keeper’s House (about 600 feet away); Johnson's Island (approx. half a mile away); Johnson's Island Prison (approx. 1.2 miles away); Confederate Stockade Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away); The Johnson’s Island Committee (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marblehead.
More about this marker. There are several other related historical markers and memorials in the immediate area of this marker. According to the Ottawa County Historical Society this historical marker was erected in 1857 by Joshua Giddings, a prominent United States Congressman from Ashtabula, Ohio, who had fought in the battle. The American soldiers who died in the skirmish were buried at the site (and those who were interred there included at least one Revolutionary War veteran).
Credits. This page was last revised on December 12, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 14, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,438 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 14, 2009, by Dale K. Benington of Toledo, Ohio. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.