Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mardela Springs in Wicomico County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Young's Purchase Farmhouse

Barren Creek Springs Village

 
 
Young's Purchase Farmhouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones (CC0), January 14, 2022
1. Young's Purchase Farmhouse Marker
Inscription.  Young's Purchase House was built between 1820 and 1830, according to architectural historians. It was moved to this site from a nearby farm, built on a tract called "Young's Purchase," patented in 1720 by William Young. The land grant included land from present Sharptown Road to Barren Creek. The house originally was a two-story dwelling, 14' × 16' with a fireplace in the end wall. It may have been used as a tenant house in the 1800s and later the kitchen was added. In 1983 Howard Adkins purchased the home and moved to its current location where it is open to its current location where it is open to visitors and serves as a reminder of the demands of early farm life in Barren Creek Springs.
 
Erected by Westside Historical Society. (Marker Number 5.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureArchitectureColonial EraSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Maryland, Mardela Springs, Barren Creek Springs Village series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1820.
 
Location. 38° 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
27.728′ N, 75° 45.316′ W. Marker is in Mardela Springs, Maryland, in Wicomico County. Marker is on Railroad Avenue just west of Bratten Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 302 Railroad Ave, Mardela Springs MD 21837, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Young's Purchase Home (a few steps from this marker); Gravenor-English School (a few steps from this marker); The Doctor's Office (a few steps from this marker); Memorial Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Cannery Warehouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Brattan-Taylor-Calloway Store (within shouting distance of this marker); Livery Stable (within shouting distance of this marker); BC&A Railroad Freight Depot (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mardela Springs.
 
Young's Purchase Farmhouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones (CC0), January 14, 2022
2. Young's Purchase Farmhouse
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 21, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 15, 2022, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 110 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 15, 2022, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=190267

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 24, 2024