Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Mardela Springs in Wicomico County, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Cannery Warehouse

Barren Creek Springs Village

 
 
Cannery Warehouse Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones (CC0), January 14, 2022
1. Cannery Warehouse Marker
Inscription.  In the 1840s Baltimore, Washington, and other area urban centers suddenly were opened to local farmers' crops, timber— even holly wreaths — due to the coming of regular steamboat routes on the Bay. The railroad's arrival in 1890 resulted in even more growth of those markets. To meet the demand, local canneries were built. Here two canneries were built in the first decade of the 1900s. One of them was built by Marion Nelson of Hebron in 1903 on the spot where the one-room school now stands. Another was built by George Waller just a few hundred yards to the west of this warehouse building. A RR siding was located on the west side of Nelson's building to bring in empty cans, baskets and other supplies, stored on the upper floor. Cases of canned tomatoes awaited pick up on the first floor. A wooden boardwalk connected cannery to warehouse. At Nelson's death the property was sold for $75.00 & the business closed. Later the cannery was demolished but this warehouse continued to be used for storage of assorted items until it was restored.
 
Erected by Westside Historical Society. (Marker Number 8.)
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online

 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureIndustry & CommerceRailroads & StreetcarsWaterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Maryland, Mardela Springs, Barren Creek Springs Village series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1890.
 
Location. 38° 27.723′ N, 75° 45.349′ W. Marker is in Mardela Springs, Maryland, in Wicomico County. Marker is on Railroad Avenue just west of Bratten Street, on the left when traveling west. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 308 Railroad Ave, Mardela Springs MD 21837, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Memorial Building (a few steps from this marker); The Doctor's Office (within shouting distance of this marker); Young's Purchase Farmhouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Young's Purchase Home (within shouting distance of this marker); Gravenor-English School (within shouting distance of this marker); Brattan-Taylor-Calloway Store (within shouting distance of this marker); BC&A Railroad Freight Depot (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Livery Stable (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Mardela Springs.
 
The Cannery Warehouse image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Devry Becker Jones (CC0), January 14, 2022
2. The Cannery Warehouse
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 15, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 15, 2022, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 76 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on January 15, 2022, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=190281

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 21, 2024