Lake of the Woods in Orange County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Orange Grove 1865 - 1967
1836 - Born in the house at Orange Grove on November 19
1861 - Enlisted July 15th in Co. C. 30th Virginia Infantry
1864 - September 12th admitted to Chimborazo Hospital. When he returned from the service his father, his mother and two sisters were living on the home place. The property was completely run down. There was nobody there who was physically able to operate the farm. He took charge of the property and supported the family.
Sometime after 1865 the home burned down and the family Bible was lost in the fire. Some of the possessions dating back to the 18th Century were saved, among them many of the original oil paintings of the Spottswood family. The family moved into a smaller 1 fl story building and made that their home.
1869 - He married Lucy Harrison Gordon
1888 - His father died on March 14th. All the land was left to Alexander and certain personal property was left to other members
1923 - Wife Lucy died, her obituary appeared in Fredericksburg Star on February 9th; Alexander D. died the following year and both are buried in the family cemetery.
1873 - Born on September 10th
1908 - He purchased Somerset on Flat Run, part of the original Alexandria tract patent.
1917 - He preceded his parents in death and is buried in the family cemetery, located on Spottswood Road.
1918 - Married E.O. Willis and moved to Culpeper
1924 - Inherited the farm from her father
1952 - In court proceedings she claimed full title to the entire property. At that time Orange Grove contained 357 acres, including part of the highway.
1967 - On January 13th she died, the last of her line.
Lelia, before her death in 1967, provided an oral history of Orange Grove and her ancestors. Only a small portion of that history is presented on these signs.
Contained in this pile are hand made bricks from the
Location. 38° 20.6′ N, 77° 44.793′ W. Marker is in Lake of the Woods, Virginia, in Orange County. Marker is on Lakeview Parkway, on the right when traveling north. Located at a park in Lake of the Woods Community. The marker is inside a gated community, and visitors must register to enter. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Locust Grove VA 22508, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Orange Grove 1728 - 1864 (here, next to this marker); Captain John Spotswood (within shouting distance of this marker); Battle of the Wilderness (within shouting distance of this marker); Spotswood Family Cemetery (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Battle of the Wilderness (approx. half a mile away); Gordon's Flank Attack (approx. 1.3 miles away); The Federals Fall Back (approx. 1½ miles away); a different marker also named Gordon's Flank Attack (approx. 1½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lake of the Woods.
More about this marker. On the left is a facsimile of Alexander D. Spottswood's obituary. In the upper center is a portrait of Lelia Lewis Spottswood Willis. In the lower center is a map showing Orange Grove is now Lake of the Woods. Spotswood Park and all the land and lake within half a mile was the last Spotswood farm at Orange Grove. In the upper right are two photographs showing Orange Grove as rebuilt. The large tree you see in the picture still stands in front of you. The WPA historical inventory of January 8, 1837 states this is a plain frame house, which the family moved into, when the mansion was burned. The picture is dated 1938 and the home has been abandoned for more than 10 years.
Categories. • Agriculture • Horticulture & Forestry • War, US Civil •
More. Search the internet for Orange Grove 1865 - 1967.
Credits. This page was last revised on December 26, 2019. This page originally submitted on May 16, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,055 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 16, 2009, by Craig Swain of Leesburg, Virginia.