Marshall in Harrison County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Headquarters of the Trans-Mississippi Department Medical Bureau and Postal Service were here plus two military hospitals and a commissary bureau. An ordnance bureau, depot, arsenal and laboratory produced and distributed powder, pistols, saddles, harness and clothing.
Following the occupation of Missouri by Union Forces the governor and other officials of that state made this the wartime Confederate capital of Missouri from November 1863 to June 1865.
Three wartime conferences of governors and Confederate military officials of Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana and Missouri met here. One, in 1862, resulted in the establishment of a separate department for these states. In 1863 military and civil authority was consolidated under Gen. E. Kirby Smith, commander of the department. On May 15, 1865, one month after Appomattox, discussion of continued resistance or surrender resulted in a stalemate.
Prominent Confederates from Marshall were Edward Clark and Pendleton Murrah, wartime
This was the home of Lucy Holcombe Pickens "Sweetheart of the Confederacy". The only woman whose portrait graced Confederate currency.
Rather than surrender at war's end, a number of high ranking Confederate military and civil officials began an exodus from Marshall to Mexico.
Erected 1963 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 10191.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: War, US Civil • Women. A significant historical date for this entry is May 15, 1865.
Location. 32° 33.002′ N, 94° 21.908′ W. Marker is in Marshall, Texas, in Harrison County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of East Grand Avenue (U.S. 80) and North Columbus Street. The marker is located on the west side of the main road through the Marshall Cemetery in the northwestern section at the crossroad. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Marshall TX 75670, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Governor Edward Clark (here, next to this marker); Walter Paye LaneJohn T. Mills (within shouting distance of this marker); Horace Randal (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Solomon Ruffin Perry (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Marshall Cemetery (about 500 feet away); The Allen House (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Marshall.
Also see . . .
1. Lucy Holcombe Pickens.
Lucy became highly acclaimed throughout the South for her "classic features, titian hair, pansy eyes, and graceful figure." In 1850, after a visit with the family of Mississippi governor John Quitman, Lucy looked in on the legislature, which then adjourned in her honor. Like Quitman, she espoused the liberation of Cuba. Her first affianced, identified as a Lieutenant Crittenden by one writer, died in a filibustering expedition of Gen. Narciso López. Subsequently Lucy, using the pseudonym H. M. Hardeman, wrote The Free Flag of Cuba, or the Martyrdom of Lopez: A Tale of the Liberating Expedition of 1851, a novelette published in 1855 by the New York publishers DeWitt and Davenport. Source: The Handbook of Texas(Submitted on January 29, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
2. Marshall, TX.
Marshall is located on Interstate Highway 20 approximately thirty-nine miles west of Shreveport, Louisiana, in central Harrison County. At the time Harrison County was created in 1839, its county seat was located at Greensborough on the Sabine River. Marshall was established in early 1841 to serve as the seat of justice for Panola Judicial District. Two years later, as a result of a Supreme Court decision that invalidated judicial districts and in an effort to influence the commissioners who were choosing a site for the county seat of the newly-constituted Harrison County, Peter Whetstone offered land for a courthouse, a church, and a school. The offer was accepted, and the town, named by Isaac Van Zandt in honor of Chief Justice John Marshall, became the county seat in 1842. Source: The Handbook of Texas(Submitted on January 29, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 29, 2022. It was originally submitted on January 29, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 124 times since then and 36 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on January 29, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.