Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Victoria in Victoria County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Old La Bahia Road

 
 
Old La Bahia Road Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, February 21, 2022
1. Old La Bahia Road Marker
Inscription.  This Louisiana trade route, a branch of Camino Real, connected New Spain, San Antonio, and Louisiana and was a major Spanish Colonial Trail after 1757, before Anglo American settlement in the 1820's. By 1749, the Spanish mission north of Victoria was moved to Goliad, Texas, and the traffic shifted south to a ford located one mile west of this marker. A Spanish outpost and Indian burial ground were found on the marker site. The ford was a boundary after 1824 when Don Martin de Leon established the colony of Guadalupe Victoria.
 
Erected 2003 by The Daniel Braman Chapter and the National Society Daughters of the American Colonists.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraHispanic AmericansRoads & Vehicles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1757.
 
Location. 28° 49.412′ N, 97° 0.911′ W. Marker is in Victoria, Texas, in Victoria County. Marker is on McCright Drive, 0.4 miles west of North Vines Street, on the right when traveling south. The marker is located along the Riverside Walking Trail and the
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
intersection of the road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Victoria TX 77901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Victoria (here, next to this marker); Tonkawa Bank (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Tonkawa Bank (about 700 feet away); Presidio La Bahia and Mission Espíritu Santo (about 800 feet away); Steamboating and the Guadalupe River (approx. ¼ mile away); Friedrich & Margaretha Hiller House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Margaret Wright "The Mother of Texas" (approx. 0.8 miles away); William Robert Smith (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Victoria.
 
Also see . . .  La Bahía Road.
The La Bahía, Opelousas, or Lower Road was originally an east-west Indian trail in southwestern Louisiana and southeastern Texas and eventually extended to Washington-on-the-Brazos and Goliad.  Source: The Handbook of Texas
(Submitted on February 26, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
The Old La Bahia Road Marker is in the center of the photo image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, February 21, 2022
2. The Old La Bahia Road Marker is in the center of the photo
The reserve side of the Old La Bahia Road Marker by the river image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, February 21, 2022
3. The reserve side of the Old La Bahia Road Marker by the river
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on February 26, 2022. It was originally submitted on February 26, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 155 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on February 26, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=192617

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 25, 2024