Castroville in Medina County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Lest We Forget!!!
The History of this Park
Castroville Regional Park
1766: The Governor of Spain gave a large parcel of land to the Indians of Mission San Jose. It was later conveyed to John McMullen, becoming known as the "McMullen Grant".
1800: The land, including what is now the Castroville Regional Park, came into the possession of the Gerhardt Ihnken family, who built a home on Gentilz Street, just a few blocks from the park. The Ihnken family cemetery is located just across Alsace Street from the park, and the Renken family cemetery is located within the park boundary. The histories of both cemeteries are recorded on historical markers.
1912: Medina Dam and a 29-mile irrigation canal system was constructed, a mile of which is located in the hills, above the park. This park is the only public property through which the canal runs on its way south.
February 6, 1950: The 126 acres, which now comprise the Castroville Regional Park, were purchased by Joe and Gertrude Hoog from the estate of Louisa Ihnken for $6,155.
Sometime between 1950 & 1968, the Hoog property, including the Castroville Regional Park, and the Kempf property
1968: The City of Castroville needed property...not for a park, but for a sewer plant, now known as the waste water treatment plant. Other properties considered by the City were too expensive, so Joe & Gertrude Hoog offered to sell their acreage to the City for $44,180 (a fraction of its value at that time) with the stipulation that the City use the land to establish a park for all the people. The City paid $4,180 in cash and gave the Hoogs a promissory note for the balance on August 16, 1968. The City then used proportionate values of the property to apply for grants from the government for a sewer plant and from Texas Parks and Wildlife Department for a park.
June 2, 1974: Castroville Regional Park opened to the public, with Mr. Jerald "Foxy" Foxworthy its first manager.
Erected by City of Castroville.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Native Americans • Parks & Recreational Areas • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is February 6, 1950.
Location. 29° 20.669′ N, 98° 52.998′ W. Marker is in Castroville, Texas, in Medina County. Marker can be reached from Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 816 Alsace Avenue, Castroville TX 7800O, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Joe and Gertrude Hoog (a few steps from this marker); Renken Cemetery (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ihnken Family Cemetery (about 500 feet away); Indian History in These Hills (approx. 0.2 miles away); Medina Lake & The Canal System (approx. 0.2 miles away); Cross Hill (approx. 0.4 miles away); St. Louis Cemetery (approx. 0.4 miles away); F. Xavier Schmidt House (approx. 0.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Castroville.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 4, 2022. It was originally submitted on March 4, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 119 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 4, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.