Franklin in Williamson County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
Manning the Fort
By that time, the Federal occupation of Middle Tennessee was entering its second year. Numerous small engagements had already taken place in and around Truine, Franklin, Brentwood, Nolensville, Thompson’s Station, and Spring Hill. In February, Union Gen. William S. Rosecrans ordered Granger to build the Franklin fort to protect the railroad and garrison the town. In March, Granger reported, “Fortifications will be done in about one week. About 10 days’ rations, and one hundred and fifty to each man on hand. No infantry coming in. Good night; am sick and tired out … had no sleep for a week.” The fort took ten weeks to complete.
Ft. Granger housed 7,900 Federal soldiers and 2,700 cavalrymen. Multiple campsites, drill fields, sentry posts, and storage facilities dotted once open fields northeast and west of the fort, including barracks
Battery crews drilled at least once a week, firing the cannons for practice. On April 10, 1863, the battery used the cannons in combat during a Franklin reconnaissance raid by Confederate Gens. Nathan B. Forrest and Earl Van Dorn. By May, Fort Granger contained 6 large siege guns (including two 24-pounder howitzers) and 24 smaller field cannon. On June 4-5 the guns defended against Confederate cavalry on the outskirts of town.
By mid-1863, Rosecrans had moved much of his army to Tullahoma. Detached regiments continued to man the fort from June 1863 to May 1865. During the Battle of Franklin on November 30, 1864, Union Gen. John M. Schofield observed the fighting from Fort Granger.
Erected by Historic Franklin Parks.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Forts and Castles • War, US Civil. A significant historical date for this entry is April 10, 1863.
Location. 35° 55.524′ N, 86° 51.566′ W. Marker is in Franklin, Tennessee, in Williamson County. Marker is on Eddy Lane south of Fort Granger Drive, on the right when traveling south. Located in Fort Granger Park. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Franklin TN 37064, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Fort Granger (a few steps from this marker); a different marker also named Fort Granger (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Fort Granger (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Fort Granger (about 300 feet away); a different marker also named Fort Granger (about 400 feet away); a different marker also named Fort Granger (about 500 feet away); General Granger and Emancipation (approx. 0.3 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Granger (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Franklin.
Also see . . . Gordon Granger at Wikipedia. (Submitted on November 10, 2019, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 7, 2022. It was originally submitted on November 10, 2019, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. This page has been viewed 161 times since then and 13 times this year. Last updated on March 6, 2022, by Bradley Owen of Morgantown, West Virginia. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 10, 2019, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York. • Mark Hilton was the editor who published this page.