Lewisburg in Greenbrier County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
Confederate troops under Gen. Henry Heth here, May 23, 1862, were repulsed in attach upon division of Col. Geo. Crook's brigade. The Old Stone Church was used as a hospital. In his retreat, Heth burned bridge over Greenbrier at Caldwell.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Bridges & Viaducts • Churches & Religion • Science & Medicine • War, US Civil. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia Archives and History series list. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1733.
Location. 37° 48.001′ N, 80° 26.561′ W. Marker is in Lewisburg, West Virginia, in Greenbrier County. Marker is on U.S. 60, on the left when traveling west. Corner of Lee and Washington Sts. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lewisburg WV 24901, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Greenbrier Military School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Colonial Army Rendezvous (approx. 0.2 miles away); Lewisburg Graded School Bell (approx. ¼ mile away); Greenbrier County Courthouse (approx. ¼ mile away); Tribute to Men of the Mountains Greenbrier County War Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Samuel Price (approx. 0.3 miles away); Rev. John McElhenney, D.D. (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lewisburg.
Also see . . . General Lewis Inn. Hotel website homepage (Submitted on May 26, 2009, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 30, 2022. It was originally submitted on May 26, 2009, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. This page has been viewed 1,420 times since then and 16 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on May 26, 2009, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland. 2, 3. submitted on November 28, 2012, by Forest McDermott of Masontown, Pennsylvania. 4, 5. submitted on May 26, 2009, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.