Carlisle in Cumberland County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Walking Tour Stop 10
Carlisle's location, as well as its institutions, attracted individuals and families who became colonial, state, and national leaders. Among those buried here are members of the U.S. Continental Congress, Presidents and Trustees of Dickinson College, Justices of the Pennsylvania Supreme Court including two Chief Justices, Pennsylvania Legislators, founders of the Female Benevolent Society, and the U.S. Commissioner of Agriculture under President Grant. Also of note are artists and writers,
Some 800 war veterans lie within these walls. They include officers as well as enlisted men and women from all branches of service. The monument recognizing fifty-three Revolutionary War soldiers was erected in the 1930s, and several monuments pay tribute to Revolutionary War heroine “Molly Pitcher,” who is buried here. Fifteen members of the Society of the Cincinnati, the first U.S. veteran's organization, are also buried here.
The native limestone walls that surround the graveyard was begun in 1806 to keep out cattle and to prevent “outrages.” The “New Section” of the graveyard was laid out in 1891, and in its SE corner is a monument marking the 1891 re-interment of those once buried in the Lutheran Graveyard on South Hanover Street.
The shapes of the grave stone markers, as well as their decorative motifs, symbols and epitaphs reflect the area's conservatism and the heritage of its early Scots-Irish and German settlers. Collectively, the markers document three centuries of technique and materials: from hand carving to cast metal to laser cut, and from rough field stone to polished
You are invited to respectfully stroll through the Old Graveyard. To help preserve the markers, and to honor those interred here, please do not sit, stand, walk upon, or lean on the markers.
Erected by Historic Carlisle, Inc.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Charity & Public Work • Colonial Era • Education • Government & Politics • War, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #18 Ulysses S. Grant series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1757.
Location. 40° 11.889′ N, 77° 11.266′ W. Marker is in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, in Cumberland County. Marker is at the intersection of South Street and Bedford Street, on the right when traveling east on South Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Carlisle PA 17013, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Major General John Armstrong (1717-1795) (within shouting distance of this marker); Brigadier General William Thompson (within shouting distance of this marker); Molly Pitcher (within shouting distance of this marker); Carlisle Old Graveyard Revolutionary War Soldiers (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); a different marker also named Molly Pitcher (about 600 feet away); Major André (about 600 feet away); Andre & Despard House (about 600 feet away); The Salvation Army (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Carlisle.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 31, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 2,385 times since then and 11 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 31, 2009, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.