Leesburg in Loudoun County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
The Bachelor's Cottage
The Bachelor's Cottage, circa 1821, was originally constructed as a dairy. It matched the smokehouse on the other side of the mansion to balance the plantation's layout. Originally the structure had a dirt floor several feet below ground level, thick plastered walls, and high vented openings to help maintain a constant cool temperature of around 50 degrees Fahrenheit. Enslaved people used this space to store perishable foods, such as milk and butter, for the Carter family's consumption.
After the Civil War, the Carters turned the building into a residence for paying boarders. During renovations in the 1880s, they added a first floor at ground level, a second floor, a chimney, two windows, and a two-story porch. By the early 1900s the Eustis family turned the structure into a guest cottage with additional windows, beadboard ceilings, indoor plumbing, and screened porches. According to oral histories, the family referred to the building as the "Bachelor's Cottage" because Morton Eustis and his friends from Harvard University stayed here when they visited Oatlands during school breaks.
After Oatlands was donated
Bachelor's Cottage, 1937.
The second floor's original wooden siding, seen here, has since been replaced with slightly wider boards. Edith Eustis chose "bronze green" to paint both the Bachelor's Cottage and the trim on the Chauffer's House. She liked the color so much, when it was discontinued, she asked the paint company to mix an entire barrel just for her.
Eustis children, 1919.
A casual moment captured between Helen, Margaret, and Morton Eustis as they play on the lawn between the mansion and Bachelor's Cottage.
Bachelor's Cottage, c. 1890.
This photograph of Oatlands' front lawn shows the Bachelor's Cottage with a rustic exterior staircase and second story porch, dating it to the ownership of George Jr. and his wife, Katherine Powell Carter.
Bachelor's Cottage, 1951.
The Eustis family added screened-in porches and an enclosed area on the second floor porch, now removed. Raymond Jewell, carpenter at Oatlands in 1950s, recalled installing copper screen. Afterwards, he muted the bright color with lamp black and kerosene because Edith Eustis didn't like "the look of the
Erected by Oatlands Historic House & Gardens, a site of the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Agriculture • Architecture • Arts, Letters, Music • Industry & Commerce. A significant historical year for this entry is 1821.
Location. 39° 2.453′ N, 77° 37.071′ W. Marker is in Leesburg, Virginia, in Loudoun County. Marker can be reached from Oatlands Plantation Lane, 0.4 miles south of James Monroe Highway (U.S. 15), on the right when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 20850 Oatlands Plantation Ln, Leesburg VA 20175, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Greenhouse (a few steps from this marker); The Mansion (within shouting distance of this marker); The Enslaved Community (within shouting distance of this marker); The Walled Garden (within shouting distance of this marker); The Smokehouse (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Reclaim Your Story (about 300 feet away); The Garden Dependency (about 300 feet away); The Carriage House (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Leesburg.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 9, 2022. It was originally submitted on April 9, 2022, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia. This page has been viewed 99 times since then and 37 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 9, 2022, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.