Santa Clara in Santa Clara County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
The Changing Church
The fifth church facade has changed since 1825.
The Spanish Built the first church in 1825 with no decoration. Ten years later, figures of saints were painted on the church faced. Over the next 90 years the face was remolded twice. After a fire in 1926, the 1835 facade was recreated in relief including the statues you see before you. From left to right are statues of St. John the Baptists, St. Clare and St. Francis.
Can you see how else the church has changed over the years?
Los españoles constuyeron la primera iglesia en 1825 sin adornos. Diez años diepués, pintaron figueras de santos en la fachada de la iglesia. Durante los siguientes 90 años, la fachada se remodeló dos veces. Después de un incendio en 1926, se construyó una fachada en relieve en 1835 con las esttuas que están frente a Usted. De izquierda derecha las estatuas son San Juan Bautista, Santa Clara y San Francisco.
¿Nota Usted cambios en la iglesia a través de los años?
The Rose Garden to the
El jardin de rosas a la derecha de la iglesia conmemora el cementerio.
Más de 6000 indigenas, españoles, californios, y americanos fueron sepultados en la Misión Santa Clara de Asis entre 1777 y 1851.
Erected by Santa Clara University / Juan Bautista de Anza National Historic Trail.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion • Exploration • Hispanic Americans • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1825.
Location. 37° 20.982′ N, 121° 56.446′ W. Marker is in Santa Clara, California, in Santa Clara County. Marker is on Palm Drive just east of Alvisio Street, on the left when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 500 El Camino Real, Santa Clara CA 95050, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Five Sites of Santa Clara de Asís Mission (here, next to this marker); Original Cross (within shouting distance of this marker); Memorial Roses (within shouting distance of this marker); Mission Santa Clara (within shouting distance of this marker); Father Magin Catala (within shouting distance of this marker); Old Adobe Wall / Olive Trees (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Professor John J. Montgomery (about 600 feet away); Santa Clara Women’s Club Adobe (about 800 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Santa Clara.
Credits. This page was last revised on April 28, 2022. It was originally submitted on April 12, 2022, by Adam Margolis of Mission Viejo, California. This page has been viewed 41 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 12, 2022, by Adam Margolis of Mission Viejo, California. • Devry Becker Jones was the editor who published this page.