Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Charlottesville, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

The Farm

 
 
The Farm Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, May 2, 2009
1. The Farm Marker
Inscription.  The Farm stands on a 1020-acre tract acquired by Nicholas Meriwether in 1735 and later owned by Col. Nicholas Lewis, uncle of Meriwether Lewis. A building on the property likely served as headquarters for British Col. Banastre Tarleton briefly in June 1781. In 1825, Charlottesville lawyer and later University of Virginia law professor. John A. G. Davis purchased a portion of the original tract and engaged Thomas Jefferson’s workmen to design and build this house. It is considered one of the best surviving examples of Jeffersonian residential architecture. Maj. Gen. George A. Custer occupied the house as his headquarters for a brief time in 1865.
 
Erected 2001 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number Q-27.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraSettlements & SettlersWar, US CivilWar, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #03 Thomas Jefferson, and the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is June 1781.
 
Location.
The Farm Marker image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, May 2, 2009
2. The Farm Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
38° 1.727′ N, 78° 28.167′ W. Marker is in Charlottesville, Virginia. Marker is at the intersection of East Jefferson Street and Farm Lane, on the left when traveling east on East Jefferson Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Charlottesville VA 22902, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. First Public Library (approx. 0.4 miles away); Watering Fountains (approx. 0.4 miles away); Town Hall / Levy Opera House (approx. half a mile away); The Three Notch’d Road (approx. half a mile away); Mercantile Business (approx. half a mile away); Site of Old Swan Tavern (approx. half a mile away); Early Hotels (approx. half a mile away); First Post Office (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Charlottesville.
 
Also see . . .  Nicholas Lewis House – Charlottesville, Virginia. “Col. Tarleton and his dragoons camped the night of June 4, 1781 in Charlottesville at ‘The Farm.’ There they imprisoned in the coalhouse one delegate who did not escape, namely Captain Daniel Boone. Tarleton and his men rode up to the house through the rose garden and exclaimed to Mrs. Lewis, ‘What a paradise!’ She retorted, ‘Then why do you disturb it!’ Mrs. Lewis was hostess to Col. Tarleton, and ever after preserved the chair (originally Meriwether’s) he had used. When they left the next morning, his soldiers took her
The Current House at The Farm image. Click for full size.
By J. J. Prats, May 2, 2009
3. The Current House at The Farm
This view is from Farm Lane, looking east.
flock of ducks. She ordered a servant to take the veteran drake to Tarleton with her compliments since it was no longer of use to her. After this episode, she became known as ‘Capt. Moll’.” (Submitted on June 2, 2009.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 28, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 2, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,419 times since then and 48 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on June 2, 2009, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photos of the Nicholas Lewis House • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=19582

Paid Advertisement
Aug. 1, 2021