Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Near Alberta in Brunswick County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Fort Christanna

 
 
Fort Christanna Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, June 21, 2009
1. Fort Christanna Marker
Inscription.  Nearby to the south stood Fort Christanna, a wooden structure built in 1714 under the auspices of Alexander Spotswood and the Virginia Indian Company. Members of the Meiponsky, Occaneechi, Saponi, Stuckenock, and Tutelo Indian tribes lived within the fort and built a nearby settlement. The fort included a frontier trading post and the English operated a school to educate and convert the Indians to Christianity there. The Virginia Indian Company was dissolved in 1717; funding for the garrison ceased the next year. By 1740 the Indian groups no longer lived at the fort but had migrated to other areas nearby in the region.
 
Erected 2001 by Department of Historic Resources. (Marker Number S-66.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraForts and CastlesNative AmericansSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources (DHR) series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1714.
 
Location. 36° 50.311′ N, 77° 54.791′ 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
W. Marker is near Alberta, Virginia, in Brunswick County. Marker is at the intersection of Boydton Plank Road (U.S. 1) and Christanna Highway (Virginia Route 46), on the right when traveling north on Boydton Plank Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Alberta VA 23821, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 6 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Brunswick Courthouse (a few steps from this marker); Nellie Pratt Russell (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Southside Virginia Community College (approx. 0.2 miles away); Rev. Jesse C. Byrd D.D. (approx. 2 miles away); Oak Grove School (approx. 2 miles away); Saint Paul’s Chapel School (approx. 2.7 miles away); Danieltown (approx. 5.3 miles away); Sturgeon Creek (approx. 5˝ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Alberta.
 
Boydton Plank Road (facing north). image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bernard Fisher, June 21, 2009
2. Boydton Plank Road (facing north).
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 3, 2021. It was originally submitted on June 22, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 1,069 times since then and 99 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 22, 2009, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=20181

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jul. 24, 2024