Lone Oak in Hunt County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Caddo Indians in Hunt County
Four hundred years ago, the valleys and tributaries of the Ouachita, Red, Sabine, and Neches rivers in what is today northeast Texas, northwest Louisiana, southwest Arkansas, and southeast Oklahoma were home to ancestors of the people known today as the Caddo. This extraordinary society of farmers, warriors, potters, priests, and traders played a vital role in the early political and cultural history of the region. Highly successful agriculturalists, the Caddo established themselves through much of the piney woods of east Texas by 500 AD. while primarily dependent on agriculture, they supplemented their diet through hunting, fishing, and gathering. Caddo villages were distinctive for their beehive-shaped homes constructed of long-stemmed prairie grass. The Caddos were known for bow making, pottery production, and many other crafts, and were identifiable by facial and body tattoos and body painting. Most Caddo clothing was made of tanned deerskin.
Europeans first encountered the Caddo in 1541, when Conquistador Hernandez De Soto fought a group in what is now Arkansas. Later encounters accentuated the friendly nature of the
By AD 800, Caddo groups appear to have moved into the upper and middle Sabine drainage basin. Artifacts found in Hunt County suggest the presence of Caddoan peoples between 800 and 1700 AD; other earlier peoples also used this region prior to the Caddo. Today, this area and artifacts discovered in it continue to emphasize the legacy of the Caddo peoples.
Erected 2010 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 16332.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Agriculture • Anthropology & Archaeology • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1541.
Location. 33° 1.807′ N, 96° 0.219′ W. Marker is in Lone Oak, Texas, in Hunt County. Marker is on U.S. 69 just east of County Road 3524, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5301 US-69, Lone Oak TX 75453, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lone Oak Baptist Church (approx. 4.2 miles away); Lone Oak Methodist Church (approx. 4.3 miles away); Majors Army Airfield (approx. 4.9 miles away); William Lane (approx. 6.3 miles away); Shady Grove Community (approx. 7.1 miles away); Ende-Gaillard House (approx. 8.3 miles away); Library Movement in Greenville (approx. 8.7 miles away); Gen. Hal C. Horton Home (approx. 8.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lone Oak.
Credits. This page was last revised on July 11, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 23, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. This page has been viewed 129 times since then and 61 times this year. Last updated on July 11, 2022, by Joe Lotz of Denton, Texas. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 23, 2021, by Jesse Nelsen of Farmersville, Texas. • J. Makali Bruton was the editor who published this page.