Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
San Marcos in Hays County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

El Camino De Nacogdoches

 
 
El Camino De Nacogdoches Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Richard Denney, July 2003
1. El Camino De Nacogdoches Marker
Inscription.  The gulley seen about fifty yards behind this marker originated from ruts in the El Camino Real (the Royal Road) from San Antonio to Nacogdoches. The road actually had two routes through what is now Hays County, and, creating confusion, both had different names at different times. By the 1790s the main path had changed course from El Camino de los Tejas (today's Hunter Road) to this location (El Camino de Nacogdoches) to align with a new crossing of the Trinity River and a new approach to Nacogdoches.

After 1800 new communities and military posts were added along El Camino Real, among them San Marcos de Neve, Puesta del Colorado (Bastrop), and Trinidad de Salcedo. The archeological site of San Marcos de Neve is located 2.2 miles east, near the San Marcos Rivers crossing.

Early in the 19th century El Camino de Nacogdoches became an important immigration route. Later, as counties were founded, this road became the boundary between many of them. It remains the southern boundary of Hays County east of the San Marcos River. But in 1858 the legislature moved the western portion farther south, perhaps hoping to thwart attempts
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
to relocate the county seat from the town of San Marcos. Elsewhere, portions of this timeworn route were cross-fenced and abandoned. Locally, today's Old Bastrop Road preserves a segment of El Camino de Nacogdoches and is still in use.
 
Erected 1998 by Preservation Associates, Inc., an umbrella organization that includes the Heritage Association of San Marcos, San Marcos Convention and Visitors Bureau, Hays County Historical Commission, Tanger Outlet Mall, Terry Gilmore, Al Lowman, Don Leggitt and Hill Rylander.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Hispanic AmericansNative AmericansRoads & VehiclesSettlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the El Camino Real de los Tejas National Historic Trail series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1800.
 
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 29° 50.187′ N, 97° 55.484′ W. Marker was in San Marcos, Texas, in Hays County. Marker was on Old Bastrop Highway, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker was in this post office area: San Marcos TX 78666, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this location, measured as the crow flies. Kings Highway (approx. 0.8 miles away); The Cattle Drives (approx. 1.8 miles away);
Looking southwest. Ruts visible in pasture, left of picture. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Richard Denney, July 10, 2003
2. Looking southwest. Ruts visible in pasture, left of picture.
Lt. Zebulon M. Pike (approx. 2.1 miles away); Don Felipe Roque de la Portilla (approx. 2.1 miles away); Site of the First Town of San Marcos (approx. 2.1 miles away); Charles Lewis McGehee Cabin (approx. 2.1 miles away); Col. Ignacio Elizondo’s 1813 Campaign (approx. 2.2 miles away); Thompson's Islands (approx. 2.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Marcos.
 
Also see . . .
1. ENV’s Old San Antonio Road report leads to Hays County historical markers. An article about the dedication of this and six other historical markers along El Camino De Nacogdoches. (Submitted on July 1, 2009.) 

2. El Camino Real de los Tejas National Historic Trail. This trail is part of El Camino Real de los Tejas National Historic Trail. Link provides more detail including map. (Submitted on March 14, 2012, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.) 
 
Additional commentary.
1. Ruts still visible.
Ruts are best viewed by clicking on the map, switching to satellite view, then zooming in. Ruts run parallel to road, Old Bastrop Highway.
Marker still missing image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Richard Denney, October 5, 2013
3. Marker still missing
On 10/5/2013 I visited the site of this marker and confirmed the entire marker -- pole and sign -- are still missing. Can only speculate that the marker was removed on purpose for some "valid reason", e.g. by request of the land owner, to prevent say fence-hopping to inspect the ruts.
    — Submitted June 26, 2009, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.
 
Panorama of where marker was, with ruts somewhat visible from road. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Richard Denney
4. Panorama of where marker was, with ruts somewhat visible from road.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on June 26, 2009, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. This page has been viewed 3,140 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on June 26, 2009, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas.   3, 4. submitted on October 7, 2013, by Richard Denney of Austin, Texas. • Kevin W. was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=20273

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 3, 2024