Bedford Township in Bedford County, Pennsylvania — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Bedford Springs Historic District
The Bedford Springs Historic District consists of a mineral springs resort established c.1806 by Dr. John Anderson. The district's oldest extant buildings are the stone Nawgel's Mill, c.1796, and the log Miller's House, c.1800. In 1804, Nawgel sold his mill to Anderson; the building was later used as part of a mineral water bottling plant. The resort's main structure is actually a series of contiguous historical buildings dating from 1806 to 1905, which collectively compose a singular, outstanding example of resort architecture in the Greek Revival, Classical Revival, and Queen Anne styles. Called a “palace in the wilderness” by one 19th century writer, the buildings accommodated guests who came to partake of the health-giving mineral waters of the seven springs on the property.
The grounds at Bedford Springs included the “Springs Circuit,” a trail that linked the seven mineral springs and traversed the trout waters of Shober's Run, a tributary of the Juniata River. The resort's golf course, developed c.1896 by Spencer Oldham, was later renovated by A. W. Tillinghast in 1912 and Donald Ross in 1923.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Architecture • Roads & Vehicles • Settlements & Settlers • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1806.
Location. 39° 59.765′ N, 78° 30.427′ W. Marker is in Bedford Township, Pennsylvania, in Bedford County. Marker is on Business Pennsylvania Route 220, on the right when traveling south. Marker is near the foot of the pedestrian bridge over Route 220. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Bedford PA 15522, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Bedford Springs (within shouting distance of this marker); SW Boundary Original Survey of Bedford (approx. 1.4 miles away); This Tablet Erected (approx. 1.4 miles away); Presbyterian Burial Ground Patent (approx. 1.4 miles away); Lieut. Col. Levin Powell (approx. 1.4 miles away); Russell House (approx. 1½ miles away); 250th Anniversary of the Survey of the Town of Bedford by John Lukens (approx. 1½ miles away); Bedford County Courthouse (approx. 1½ miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on July 28, 2022. It was originally submitted on November 30, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 1,043 times since then and 33 times this year. Last updated on July 28, 2022, by Carl Gordon Moore Jr. of North East, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on November 30, 2008, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.