Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Waco in McLennan County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Alexander McKinza

(1815 - About 1874)

 
 
Alexander McKinza Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 5, 2022
1. Alexander McKinza Marker
Inscription.  In 1834 Alexander McKinza moved to Nacogdoches, Texas, from his native Alabama. During the Texas War for Independence, he joined the Sabine Volunteers under Capt. Benjamin F. Bryant and fought at the Battle of San Jacinto, April 21, 1836. McKinza married Clarissa Brewer on March 14, 1839. He had a store near Douglass until 1857 and served as justice of the peace for Nacogdoches County from 1853 to 1857. He settled in McLennan County about 1860.
Recorded - 1976

 
Erected 1976 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 111.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Cemeteries & Burial SitesLaw EnforcementSettlements & SettlersWar, Texas Independence. A significant historical date for this entry is March 14, 1839.
 
Location. 31° 36.817′ N, 97° 11.791′ W. Marker is in Waco, Texas, in McLennan County. Marker can be reached from Rock Creek Road, ¼ mile north of Steinbeck Bend Drive. The marker is located in the eastern section of the Bosqueville Cemetery. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Waco TX 76708, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. David Smith Kornegay (here, next to this marker); Bosqueville Cemetery Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Bosqueville Cemetery (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bosqueville Methodist Church (about 600 feet away); Bosqueville Baptist Church (about 800 feet away); Camp MacArthur (approx. 2.7 miles away); Old Site of Texas Christian University (approx. 3.7 miles away); The Clubhouse, Miss Nellie's & Anniversary Park (approx. 3.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Waco.
 
Also see . . .  McKinza, Alexander (? - 1874). San Jacinto Museum of History
Mr. McKinza was a Justice of the Peace in Nacogdoches County from 1853 to 1857. He was also a co-partner in the mercantile firm of "McKinza and Leavy" in the town of Liberty located not far from the present town of Douglass in the western part of the present Nacogdoches County. This establishment seems to have failed during the depression of 1857, and the partnership was dissolved, accompanied by several suits against them on notes and wholesale accounts. Mr. McKinza wrote a beautiful, flourishing hand and was evidently a good bookkeeper.
(Submitted on August 11, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.) 
 
The Alexander McKinza Marker looking west image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 5, 2022
2. The Alexander McKinza Marker looking west
The view of the Alexander McKinza Marker in the cemetery image. Click for full size.
Photographed By James Hulse, August 5, 2022
3. The view of the Alexander McKinza Marker in the cemetery
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 11, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 10, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas. This page has been viewed 110 times since then and 27 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on August 11, 2022, by James Hulse of Medina, Texas.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=203523

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
May. 23, 2024