Two Harbors in Lake County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Agate Bay Breakwater
The original breakwater. Built in1887
The Army Corp of Engineers solution to expanding the harbor was to simply pick up the old breakwater and move it.
The US Army Corp of Engineers makes annual visits to Agate Bay to reinforce the breakwater after Lake Superior's winter storms.
In 1970 the breakwater was capped and reinforced. At the request of the City of Two Harbors Tourism Council the breakwater was opened up and tourists are allowed to walk to the end at their own risk.
Erected by Lake County Historical Society with the assistance of Boy Scouts Troop #160.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Parks & Recreational Areas • War, World II • Waterways & Vessels. A significant historical year for this entry is 1887.
Location. 47° 0.828′ N, 91° 39.913′ W. Marker is in Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Two Harbors MN 55616, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Agate Bay Commercial Fishing Village (a few steps from this marker); Two Harbors Breakwater (a few steps from this marker); Two Harbors Light Station (within shouting distance of this marker); Two Harbors Light Station - Agate Bay (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Crusader II (about 300 feet away); Eugene W. Pargny Propeller (about 400 feet away); Welcome to Paul H. Van Hoven Park (approx. 0.4 miles away); Agate Bay Light Station (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Two Harbors.
Credits. This page was last revised on August 20, 2022. It was originally submitted on August 19, 2022. This page has been viewed 55 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on August 19, 2022.