Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Lorton in Fairfax County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Gunston Hall

 
 
Gunston Hall Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, March 25, 2006
1. Gunston Hall Marker
Inscription.  Gunston Hall, four miles to the east, is one of the most noted colonial places in Virginia. The land was patented in 1651 by Richard Turney, who was hanged for taking part in Bacon's Rebellion in 1676. In 1696 the second George Mason acquired it. The house was built in 1755–1758 by the fourth George Mason, revolutionary leader and author of the Virginia Declaration of Rights and the first constitution of Virginia.
 
Erected 1968 by Virginia Historic Landsmarks Commission. (Marker Number E-65.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial EraSettlements & SettlersWar, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the Virginia Department of Historic Resources series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1651.
 
Location. 38° 41.254′ N, 77° 12.528′ W. Marker is in Lorton, Virginia, in Fairfax County. Marker is at the intersection of Gunston Road (Virginia Route 242) and Old Colchester Road, on the left when traveling east on Gunston Road. Marker is half a mile east of Richmond
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Highway (U.S. 1). Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Lorton VA 22079, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 5 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Indian Attack (here, next to this marker); Lewis Chapel / Cranford Memorial Methodist Church (here, next to this marker); Lewis Chapel (within shouting distance of this marker); Elizabeth Hartwell Mason Neck National Wildlife Refuge / Explore a Trail Network (approx. 0.3 miles away); Gunston Hall / Pohick Bay Regional Park and Golf Course (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lorton.
 
More about this marker. This marker was originally erected at Richmond Highway (Route 1) at the intersection with Gunston Road. It was moved here when Route 1 was widened.
 
Also see . . .  Gunston Hall Plantation Website. (Submitted on March 26, 2006.)
 
Gunston Hall, Lewis Chapel, and Indian Attack Markers image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats
2. Gunston Hall, Lewis Chapel, and Indian Attack Markers
Gunston Hall image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, March 26, 2006
3. Gunston Hall
Gunston Hall<br>East Façade image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, May 11, 2019
4. Gunston Hall
East Façade
Gunston Hall image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, May 11, 2019
5. Gunston Hall
George Mason IV image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Allen C. Browne, May 11, 2019
6. George Mason IV
2004 Sculpture by Wendy M. Ross at Gunston Hall.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 10, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 26, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,159 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on March 26, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.   2. submitted on March 25, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.   3. submitted on March 26, 2006, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.   4, 5, 6. submitted on May 27, 2019, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=205

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Feb. 23, 2024