Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Genoa in Douglas County, Nevada — The American Mountains (Southwest)
 

Genoa

In Search of the Pony Express

— Station Marker —

 
 
Front of Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, July 5, 2009
1. Front of Marker
Inscription.  
[Front of Marker:]
Genoa
Original Home Station
April 3, 1860 – Aug. 30, 1860
Relay Station
Sep. 1, 1860 – Nov. 20, 1861
By
Town of Genoa
Genoa Volunteer Fire Department
Carson Valley Historical Society
Pony Express Trail Association


[Back of Marker:]
Mandlebaum & Klauber’s Store was located at this site. They were agents for the Pony Express Route and Wells, Fargo & Co.

The original Pony Express Route from April 3, 1860 to May 13, 1860 went from here to Woodfords then over Luther Pass and Johnson Pass (Echo Summit). By May 14, 1860 the Kingsbury Grade Toll Road over Daggett Pass and through Lake Valley was opened to horse traffic and was now used by the Pony Express. It was opened to wagon traffic on August 14, 1860. This new route saved 8.4 miles.

Genoa was always a station site. It was a home station the first five months. This is where riders lived when not in the saddle. On September 1, 1860 Carson City became the new home station. Thomas Flynn was a known Pony Express rider between Genoa and the
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Carson Sink Station going Eastbound.

2001 Joe Nardone
 
Erected 2001 by Town of Genoa, Genoa Volunteer Fire Dept., Carson Valley Historical Society and the Pony Express Trail Assoc.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable EventsNotable PlacesRoads & Vehicles. In addition, it is included in the Pony Express National Historic Trail series list. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1863.
 
Location. 39° 0.271′ N, 119° 50.764′ W. Marker is in Genoa, Nevada, in Douglas County. Marker is on Jacks Valley Road/Main Street (Nevada Route 206), on the right when traveling south. Marker is located in front of the Genoa Fire Department, across the street from the Mormon Station State Historic Park. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2998 Jacks Valley Road/Main Street, Genoa NV 89411, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Welcome to Mormon Station State Historic Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Mormon Station State Historic Park (within shouting distance of this marker); Hans Meyer–Kassel (within shouting distance of this marker); Carson Trail - Original Mormon Station (within shouting distance of this marker); The Pony Express
Wide View of Front of Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, July 5, 2009
2. Wide View of Front of Marker
(within shouting distance of this marker); John A. “Snowshoe” Thompson (within shouting distance of this marker); Judge Daniel Webster Virgin (within shouting distance of this marker); Mormon Station (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Genoa.
 
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. Follow the first Eastbound journey of the Pony Express through California to Genoa, Nevada.... To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
 
Also see . . .
1. Pony Express Stations in Nevada. (Submitted on July 9, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.)
2. The Pony Express Route. (Submitted on July 9, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.)
3. Thomas Flynn - Pony Express Rider. (Submitted on July 9, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.)
 
Back of Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, July 5, 2009
3. Back of Marker
Wide View of Back of Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Syd Whittle, July 5, 2009
4. Wide View of Back of Marker
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 9, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 1,255 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on July 9, 2009, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=20663

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 22, 2024