Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Whitesville in Harris County, Georgia — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Whitesville

 
 
Whitesville Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, July 20, 2003
1. Whitesville Marker
Inscription.  Incorporated in 1837 and named for the pioneer “White” family, Whitesville was the site of a stagecoach stop, inn, and stores on a branch of the Oakfuskee Indian Trail. This early road continued across the Chattahoochee River at Dobb’s Ferry, at the lower end of Miller’s Bend Shoals near the mouth of Mountain Creek. The post office at the older settlement, Mountain Creek, established in 1830 with Joseph I. Whitaker, postmaster, was moved to Whitesville in 1835. The Whitesville Methodist Church was organized in 1837 in the home of Reuben Rabb Mobley, first class leader. Jeremiah Rush was an early pastor.
 
Erected 1958 by Georgia Historical Commission. (Marker Number 072-11.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionIndustry & CommerceRoads & VehiclesSettlements & SettlersWaterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Georgia Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1837.
 
Location. 32° 49.075′ N, 85° 1.914′ 
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
W. Marker is in Whitesville, Georgia, in Harris County. Marker is at the intersection of Whitesville Road (Georgia Route 219) and Pine Lake Road, on the left when traveling south on Whitesville Road. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Pine Mountain GA 31822, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 9 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Whitesville Methodist Episcopal Church, South (approx. ¼ mile away); Sunnyside School, Midway Baptist Church and Midway Cemetery Historic District (approx. 2.8 miles away); Jones Crossroads (approx. 3.6 miles away); Civil Rights Marker Honoring Henry "Peg" Gilbert (approx. 3.6 miles away); Salem Road Bridge (approx. 7.7 miles away); Langdale Veterans Memorial (approx. 8.1 miles away in Alabama); West Point Manufacturing Company (approx. 8.1 miles away in Alabama); Mountain Hill District Consolidated School (approx. 8.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Whitesville.
 
Whitesville Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By David Seibert, September 18, 2010
2. Whitesville Marker
Looking northwest at the marker and Georgia Highway 219
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 30, 2020. It was originally submitted on July 23, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. This page has been viewed 1,129 times since then and 142 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on July 23, 2009, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia.   2. submitted on September 20, 2010, by David Seibert of Sandy Springs, Georgia. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=21026

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 17, 2024