Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Kingsport in Sullivan County, Tennessee — The American South (East South Central)
 

Exchange Place

Gaines-Preston Farm

 
 
Exchange Place Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, October 23, 2022
1. Exchange Place Marker
Inscription.  Located on the Western Stage Road, this double log house, arranged in “saddle bag” style, was called Exchange Place because it was used to exchange stagecoach horses and currencies. From 1816 to 1846 it served as the main house for the plantation owned by John Gaines. John Preston, of Abingdon, Virginia, bought the western half of the farm in 1846 and gave it to his son James as a wedding gift. In 1970 the Preston-Stuart family gave Exchange Place to the Netherland Inn Association for restoration. It is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.
 
Erected by The Junior League of Kingsport.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AgricultureIndustry & CommerceRoads & Vehicles. A significant historical year for this entry is 1816.
 
Location. 36° 32.61′ N, 82° 29.154′ W. Marker is in Kingsport, Tennessee, in Sullivan County. Marker is on Orebank Road. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 4812 Orebank Rd, Kingsport TN 37664, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 4 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Roseland (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Yancey's Tavern
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 1.6 miles away); Battle of Island Flats (approx. 1.8 miles away); a different marker also named Battle of Island Flats (approx. 2 miles away); Martin-Dobyns House (approx. 2.7 miles away); Rock Ledge (approx. 2.8 miles away); Stone-Penn House (approx. 3 miles away); Fort Patrick Henry (approx. 3.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Kingsport.
 
Regarding Exchange Place. Excerpt from the National Register nomination:
Exchange Place was built the the early 1800's and was occupied many years by the Gaines family. In 1816 John S. Gaines, great nephew of Captain James Gaines, Revolutionary War soldier and North Carolina legislator, purchased a 130-acre tract of land in Sullivan County on which the main house and store were built. It is known that John Gaines occupied the log house which is a part of the main house today and operated a store there for many years.

The name “Exchange Place” is significant as it grew from the fact that the store was used as a place to exchange currency in the days when each State had its own monetary system. In
Exchange Place Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Duane and Tracy Marsteller, October 23, 2022
2. Exchange Place Marker
addition to its use as a store and stage stop, Exchange Place was a large farm complex. John Gaines increased his land holdings until he had 2147 acres in his farm.

 
Also see . . .  Preston Farm (PDF). National Register nomination for the farm, which was listed in 1971. (National Archives) (Submitted on November 12, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.) 
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on November 12, 2022. It was originally submitted on November 12, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee. This page has been viewed 200 times since then and 65 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on November 12, 2022, by Duane and Tracy Marsteller of Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=210263

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Jun. 15, 2024